• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cadillac Valve & TDM Keeps Burning Out

Hummer Guy

This is going to be my 3rd cadillac valve & TDM, I've had them burn out twice, my first one lasted around 3 weeks after I installed my aluminum radiator and the 2nd one lasted a month, does anyone know what amps the cadillac valve & TDM put out? I would like to put a fuse or circuit breaker in between the two.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
only reasons I could see for them to burn up/fail like that is if there is a wiring issue somewhere, or if you're buying cheap chinese made crap.

What voltage are you seeing on the wires going into the TDM?

I find it unlikely but any chance you damaged any wires when you were installing the radiator?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those things are pretty much bullet proof, as Coug eluded to are you sure you are buying the genuine article, there are tons of aftermarket stuff that look pretty dang real.
The only other obvious thing would be if your alt. was grossly overcharging, but I'm sure you would notice if it was that bad.

Hummer Guy

only reasons I could see for them to burn up/fail like that is if there is a wiring issue somewhere, or if you're buying cheap chinese made crap.

What voltage are you seeing on the wires going into the TDM?

I find it unlikely but any chance you damaged any wires when you were installing the radiator?
Haven't check the voltage in a long time, if I remember, it had no voltage going to it, its been about 2 or 3 months since this one burnt out, I'm just starting to address it again since cold weather is coming

Hummer Guy

Those things are pretty much bullet proof, as Coug eluded to are you sure you are buying the genuine article, there are tons of aftermarket stuff that look pretty dang real.
The only other obvious thing would be if your alt. was grossly overcharging, but I'm sure you would notice if it was that bad.

Hummer Guy

The ones I get come from black dogs custom, they seem to be pretty good quality, my alternator charges between 28-29 volts

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My concern is water fording.

Anyone here convert to an electric fan clutch activating system?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

all Vehicles have a fan blade, all off road vehicles go in water, there is a proper way to Ford a water crossing, and it’s not
what you see on the internet when you drive through a deep puddle at 20mph like an idiot.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
all Vehicles have a fan blade, all off road vehicles go in water, there is a proper way to Ford a water crossing, and it’s not
what you see on the internet when you drive through a deep puddle at 20mph like an idiot.
True Steve, but I don’t behave like that. I’m interested in an electric fan clutch. Do you know of any?

Hummer Guy

This was slightly my plan; I was going to use dual fans to turn on at 180-190 Degrees, but I was going to keep the regular hydraulic fan connected to be a backup for when the electric fans can't keep up or if they fail. The fan I have is 2215CFM for each one, so in total its 4430 CFM, from researching, the humvee original fan pulls about double that.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was slightly my plan; I was going to use dual fans to turn on at 180-190 Degrees, but I was going to keep the regular hydraulic fan connected to be a backup for when the electric fans can't keep up or if they fail. The fan I have is 2215CFM for each one, so in total its 4430 CFM, from researching, the humvee original fan pulls about double that.
stay away from electric fans…it’s been proven for 20yrs they do not work on this truck.
I lost count on the number of trucks I’ve removed these stupid cooling fans guys stick on the radiator stack, they block airflow, the best fan is the OEM fan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks