• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caiman MTV

saddamsnightmare

June 29th, 2014.

An interesting thread. I am amazed so far that the iconoclasts on here have not managed to say something to get the thread locked. Sangamon County just received one of these, apparently it is a very heavy 6X6 as they had to leave the spare tires and wheels behind or the hauling tractor would have been overweight. I hope that the OP's get good use out of it.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
June 29th, 2014.

An interesting thread. I am amazed so far that the iconoclasts on here have not managed to say something to get the thread locked.
Saddamsnightmare,
You seem to be the one trying to make trouble. Maybe if you focused on the truck instead of trying to become a catalyst to an argument we can enjoy this thread.

red

The caiman is good against small arms fire. Did quite a few post blast analysis on these (EOD tech) while I was deployed to Iraq. I wouldn't trust them against an explosive attack of over 50 lbs. The aluminum saves weight, but doesn't hold up against the frag of IED's.

boswalt

Finally got the CTIS system up and running, it wasn't hooked up from the factory and we had to source some parts. Still looking for cables for the thermal drivers viewer.

2w091

An agency near us used their MRAP during a barricaded suspect incident. It was invaluable in ending the situation, it was used as intended, rolling cover.
The bad guy had a scoped rifle and shot at responding officers. They essentially parked it in his front yard, he shot out the spotlight and guys inside could here rounds pinging off the armor.
This is the use LE envisioned for MRAP's, beyond the hype an MRAP is nothing more than a large truck with an armored capsule. Prior to the 1033 many smaller tactical teams were using old Brinks trucks, the were wholly inadequate and normally mechanically questionable. But they weren't military surplus so that made them less scary I guess. Larger teams use Bearcats because they can afford them.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After looking at the pics I tend to agree with others about how easy it would be to disable an MRAP.

dawico

Welcome and that MRAP is awesome. I do not blame departments for getting them since they are free. I would gladly pay shipping if I could get the same price.

Good luck with it.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2w091, can you provide the article(s) you are referencing? if nothing else, would be an interesting read. Glad the truck did as intended!

turnkey

Enough said on that ...Could be used to welcome back the 2 killers loose in the East....Nice safe cell awaiting them....This rig is great for natural things that happen to us all.....97 Grand Forks N.Dak. was in the middle of a flood...Center of town burn down in the middle of the flood ...Firetrucks couldn't get to it....because of the flood waters covered the downtown area....crazy stuff....I like the locals getting this kind of stuff...Welcome to the site lots of good things to swap ideas and parts...Best of luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks