• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calgary AB to vancouver island photos

Snowtiger

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThis is an attempt to post pictures of my road trip,these were from when I left calgary to when I got to the ferry terminalimage.jpgthen safely home never to see cold again

Andrmorr

Definitely one of the more unusual recoveries...

How far of a trip was that?
How many guys can say they took their 5 ton on a ferry?
Was it tricky getting it on the ferry?
Did they give you any extra hassle for it being a 5 ton?
How big is the island?
5tons have been known to get island fever so keep an eye out!

plode

How many guys can say they took their 5 ton on a ferry?
Was it tricky getting it on the ferry?
Did they give you any extra hassle for it being a 5 ton?
Wondering all of this myself. I may be attempting to take the 5 ton on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry in August to head down to Jeep Fest in Ocean City Maryland. I imagine it'll fit since RV's and other big trucks go on all the time. I just wonder how much I'll have to pay...I'm sure I won't get the normal pickup truck rate :(

Snowtiger

All good questions Andrmorr I was thinking all that while I was driving over three mountain ranges and two cities full of rush hour fun and the unknown ferry issues. The trip itself was approx. 1100 km or 700 miles and while I was concerned about driving in the winter, through the Rockies (scared doesn't sound manly lol) the truck performed like a champ. I spent the night in Revelstoke and continued on through Kelowna and onto the connector to the coqihalla (spelling?) the grades were ridiculous but wow she just motored along. There wasn't even an increase in engine temp and I just was very patient and kept my demand on the transmission low so it was easy. On a side note everywhere I stopped I had folks coming over to look at the truck and discuss the various features. The part I was very worried (scared) about was Vancouver rush hour but it went easy as pie and the ferry was fantastic went on the Queen of Alberni. The part I remember most interesting was I had a hot meal on board and it was a kings banquet after two days of being cold and living on fruit (Huge greasy double cheese and fries) Rolled into my home at midnight after the 2 hour crossing and now the trip is history. Now the real work starts I intend to spoil this truck its practically new anyways.

The Ferry was 180.00 Canadian and I don't think was that bad

Andrmorr

Now the real work starts I intend to spoil this truck its practically new anyways.
Makes you wonder why a newly rebuilt camo truck has a tan soft top... My truck was the same way... Sure was glad to get it swapped out for the proper camo... If your top is in good physical condition, you could just repaint to match... I've been impressed with how good Rapcoparts.com "383" CARC substitute matches the factory paint. The first time you spray it on will make you jump because it goes on yellowish but dries out to an exact match...

Carlo

All good questions Andrmorr I was thinking all that while I was driving over three mountain ranges and two cities full of rush hour fun and the unknown ferry issues. The trip itself was approx. 1100 km or 700 miles and while I was concerned about driving in the winter, through the Rockies (scared doesn't sound manly lol) the truck performed like a champ. I spent the night in Revelstoke and continued on through Kelowna and onto the connector to the coqihalla (spelling?) the grades were ridiculous but wow she just motored along. There wasn't even an increase in engine temp and I just was very patient and kept my demand on the transmission low so it was easy. On a side note everywhere I stopped I had folks coming over to look at the truck and discuss the various features. The part I was very worried (scared) about was Vancouver rush hour but it went easy as pie and the ferry was fantastic went on the Queen of Alberni. The part I remember most interesting was I had a hot meal on board and it was a kings banquet after two days of being cold and living on fruit (Huge greasy double cheese and fries) Rolled into my home at midnight after the 2 hour crossing and now the trip is history. Now the real work starts I intend to spoil this truck its practically new anyways.

The Ferry was 180.00 Canadian and I don't think was that bad
That was a trip I wish I could make. We get the program highway to **** based on coqihalla highway. Nice truck.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That 5 ton must have been heavy for the ferry! Looks like it pushed ocean right into your back yard. I'll grab some pumps next time I come out and get that fixed up for ya.

Those photos are rare so really appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Just over 12,000 square miles of paradise to play in with rain forests, iconic gardens, mountains, ski hills and one of my favorite places to visit. http://www.fortroddhill.com/
http://www.longbeachmaps.com/

Neat story on the Volkswagon museum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQhERqCSrQk

Living the dream.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks