• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California ARB (CARB) and Diesel "pollution"

Wackawacka

I am looking to purchase an M925 and thanks to the many posts here on this forum I have found much advice and knowledge regarding the acquisition of this truck. But one think I have yet to hear about is the new laws in California which is requiring diesel engines to be retrofitted and/or replaced.

The below is a link which outlines most of what needs to take place.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/tboverviewfs.pdf

Basically any diesel vehicle over 14K pounds must have a filter in place by Jan 2011, and be replaced by 2013. There are exceptions to the rule for low use vehicles, but even then the engine/truck must be replaced by 2021.

My question is has anyone in California been looking into this and how it affects Military vehicles? Any exemptions?

I figure it's possible to replace the engine in one of these beasts, but what am i looking at as far as cost? Can i replace just the engine, or would it require replacement of many other parts of the drive train as well?

dobyg75

If you read the paragraph: What other special provisions are provided?

The regulation also has a number of provisions or delays for low-use vehicles, agricultural vehicles,
motor coaches, certain unique vehicles, and vehicles operated in cleaner areas of the state.
However, by January 1, 2023, all engines would meet the 2010 new engine emission standards
from what i understand the mv's would fall under "certain unique vehicles" but i could be wrong. it also says that different parts of the state contribute to the special provitions.
call this number they will tell you for sure ArB’s diesel hotline at (866) 6DiESEL (634-3735)

dobyg75

If you read the paragraph: What other special provisions are provided?

The regulation also has a number of provisions or delays for low-use vehicles, agricultural vehicles,
motor coaches, certain unique vehicles, and vehicles operated in cleaner areas of the state.
However, by January 1, 2023, all engines would meet the 2010 new engine emission standards
from what i understand the mv's would fall under "certain unique vehicles" but i could be wrong. it also says that different parts of the state contribute to the special provitions.
call this number they will tell you for sure ArB’s diesel hotline at (866) 6DiESEL (634-3735)

Wackawacka

This is strictly a personal endeavorer, and i do understand California has some interesting rules regarding "commercial" vehicles.

But from what I can tell, these rules do not care if it is a commercial vehicle or not, it looks to be any vehicle which is over 14K pounds and run with a diesel engine.

Also this isn't a strictly California problem, as this does apply to any vehicle in or out of state, but again there are provisions which give exemptions to low use (read low mileage).

If I am reading it correctly if a vehicle is over 33K pounds and is used less than 7,500 miles, or less than 33K pounds and less than 5,000 miles.

But there is no exemption beyond 2021, all vehicles/engines must be replaced by then even if it is low use.

dobyg75

ether way the law is not good for the people who have to replace the truck engines i know i can't afford a 20,000
engine. i don't understand why they are attacking diesels so much gasoline engines are just as much a cause are they going to make us change the engines in those too?
im not going to unless the gov pays for it

Autocar

I checked on this before I bought my M818. Called CARB engineering group and the guy I spoke to said regulations don't apply to historic vehicles. Make sure you are going to register and use as historic vehicle

Wackawacka

I can see how an M818 can be registered as a historical vehicle as it meets the requirements of being "(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest." (per VC Section 5004 Vehicles of Historic Value). But being I am looking at getting myself an M925 series, which are newer usually late 80's to early 90's, I don't quite meet the over 25 year requirement.

What would one be looking at for an engine replacement? Again from what I understand if you use the vehicle less then 7500 miles a year then you wouldn't have to replace the engine until 2021, but nonetheless it must be done eventually.

I am really wondering what it would take to replace an engine, for instance is there a new engine (which by the way has to be made in 2010 or later) which can be just a drop in replacement. Or am I looking at replacing a bunch of parts to make it work?

bratpackdad

The regulations do not currently apply to "Historic Vehicle". However, you are correct. In 2021 there be no exemptions. Also, if you read their website; they are working to implement the requirements prior to 2021. The love affair between diesels and California is over. This is just one of the reasons I am moving. This and the 37 million ( it's more) residents. Most of whom are here illegally.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I truely feel sorry for the good folks of CA. It seems you can't win there.

I understand it's hard to do with family and jobs but I'd consider moving out and letting the whackos have it. Looks like it's time to retreat, the sensible have lost the war.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I truely feel sorry for the good folks of CA. It seems you can't win there. Looks like it's time to retreat, the sensible have lost the war.
The battle for sure, but the war......I don't think so.

CA is a big state with a problem of transportation pollution in and around many metropolitan areas. I believe that something must, and is being done. However.....

The laws enacted are broad and do not contain nuances for the consideration and possible exclusion of our beloved OD vehicles, historic or almost!

I believe that an organized effort to have the ARB recognize and write in an exclusion for collectable/MV/historic diesels IS POSSIBLE.

It will take some of our members in CA organizing and being heard. It has been done before, in fact I have experience in working with the CARB back in the nineties.

They do want consumer input guys, the law is malleable.

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, I'll admit I may have been a little too harsh with my post. I just get tired of hearing all the crap the good folks of CA have to put up with.

davidkroberts

HMMM.... i know the one voting block you never want to mess with is retirees. I remember people getting around the California commercial vehicle regulations by making the truck an RV. Maybe if all else fails you can convert to a camper. I know the big diesel motor coaches are about the same weight.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMM.... i know the one voting block you never want to mess with is retirees. I remember people getting around the California commercial vehicle regulations by making the truck an RV. Maybe if all else fails you can convert to a camper. I know the big diesel motor coaches are about the same weight.
Be careful with RVs in Kommiefornia, er, I mean California. The CHP (highway patrol) LOVES to pull over fifth-wheels and travel trailers that look to be overweight, and put them on the portable scales. They are also sticklers about driver's license endorsements as related to weights.

I'd stick with Historic Vehicle registration.

bratpackdad

The more attention you draw to MV's the worse it will be. Right now, MV's are not on the radar. However, start going toe to toe with the Air Resources Board or legislature and that will change.
This state is so far left it's almost falling over. MV's will be on the list to be banned in the future. If you don't think so then you're naive. They are already going after the diesel engine in my boat. MV's aren't too far away.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks