• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California drivers licence and 5 tons

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevy43

What do you guys use. I have just been using my regular licence and havn't been stoped yet. My title says historical automobile.

I have thought about getting a set of 2 1/2 ton dash plates and swaping them in. Then maybe I could say the gross weight is under 26K and just play dumb. :lol:

I have heard there is a non commercial class B licence. I'm going to look into that. I have always heard that if you have the commercial licence and you get stopped they think you are a commercial driver and want to see log books etc and that you are doding commercial work.

Seems like they are way more likely to buy "just going to a show" if you don't have the commercial licence.

One trip I towed a 7 1/2 ton WW2 truck with and M817 for about 300 miles. Both were painted green. We had no plates mounted. My budy and I wore army caps and OD T shirts.
We counted 7 different police cars that past us and never got stoped. We should both still be in jail I think :lol:

Pinkie

You license have no impact on what vehicle you are driving. I have my CDL class A in Virginia. If I am driving my pickup they are not going to try to say I am driving commercially and want to see my log book. Historical plates are not commercial plates. The cops will go by how the vehicle is tagged, not your drivers license. By the way do you have an extra 5 ton I can have?

Thanks,

J.R.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
soon i will get my lic plate for louisiana, for the 5 on wrecker and the insurance as well, ill post the results

mangus580

The Republic of Kalifornia is a bit different on that. I believe their laws require a different class license just because of the number of axles!! You better check with the motor vehicle dept and make sure. I suspect its a heafty fine!

Towman2277

Usually 99% of the time what determines if you need a Commercial license is the weight (GVWR). If it's over 26,000 lbs, your required to have a commercial license, and if it has air brakes, must have an airbrake certification. With my 5-ton though, I don't haul any commercial loads, never drove into a weigh station (pass them all day long), and have not had a problem yet, nor any complaints. Most DOT officers don't wanna' stop you and open a "can of worms" that they don't understand. Plus, it's an "Army Truck", a very sticky situation already. When I worked drug interdiction on the interstate for the Local Law Enforcement, we would NEVER stop a passing Military vehicle, scared of any repercussions we may get in ( ie. Hot Water). We were told that you don't stop them, never, you don't know what they are doing, etc, and they have their own rules they are governed by (true). If your truck looks like a horrible piece that just drove out the woods for the first time in 35 years, you might have a problem at some point. Overall, you'll be fine. :driver:

JDToumanian

Mike is correct, California requires at least a non-commercial class B license for any powered vehicle with more than 2 axles, regardless of type or weight, although I think there's an exemption for motorhomes with a third non-powered tag axle...

There are truck scales on Cajon Pass, I drive right by them every time.

Jon

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just spent a little time looking at the vehicle code book and found nothing giving any exemptions for driving a historical commercial vehicle. Bottom line, if it has 3 or more axles and weighs more than 6000 lbs, you need at least a class B license UNLESS its a "house car" that is less than 40 feet in length. Its all defined in section 12804.9 CVC. A loophole in the system would be to register it as a "house car" with the canvas on the back and a refrigerator, portable toilet and cot inside when you go to DMV. I think the only people that will care are the CHP especially the ones in the trucks who do all the commercial vehicle enforcement. I also learned that a Class A license is needed when any vehicle being towed has a GVW of 10000 lbs or more. (so when flat towing another duece, a class A is needed, woops). I havent found it yet but I bet there is an impound authority allowing police officers to impound a commercial vehicle if being driven out of class. I will keep checking.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Found another interesting sub section to 12500 cvc which is the licensed driver section. 12500 (D) CVC states no person shall drive a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not of a type for which the person is licensed. That means if you are driving a dueceor bigger with a class C license, you are considered an un licensed driver according to the vehicle code book your truck is subject to a 30 day impound per impound authority 14602.6 CVC. The only exception was for United States Government employees in the course of government business are not required to be licensed. Now whether or not the officer will cite/impound your truck is another story but according to the vehicle code book, he/she could. I have now spent several hours looking through this book (1096 pages) and no where does it give any exemptions for a commercial historical vehicle being driven with just a class C license. I wish it did because it means I am also in violation when driving my duece. If anybody knows the section allowing these to be driven with just a class C license please chime in so I know what to pull out of my bottom when stopped by the fuzz. You can look up all these sections on Ca DMV's website.

chevy43

I still think since there is no weight on the title and the title says autobile that is the loop hole. Look at your hitorical title. All mine say "automobile".

I don't really want to take that to court though :shock:

ida34

I have said it before and I say it again. Most of the time a truck used for non-commercial purposes (not making any money in any way by using the truck) does not need a CDL because there is no commerce going on. Weight is not a factor on the requirement for a CDL if you are not using it for commercial purposes. The confusion comes because you can drive lower GVW vehicles commercialy without having a CDL but when you go over the GVW limit then you need the CDL. These restrictions are quoted to CDL holders and bosses to see who needs a CDL to drive what truck. If your state has a separate class of non-commercial license like what was said above then that is different. It helps when you think about towing a large equipment trailer with a pickup. My F-350 is 12000 gvw and when I connect up an 8 ton equipment trailer I know have a combined GVW of over 26001 lbs (28000 and some change). If I was doing it to make money then I need a CDL. If I am just towing my tractor to my uncle's house I do not need a CDL to do so. As most of you CDL holders know it is not the load that determines the weight it is the capacity of the truck and trailer combination. Also think of a 40' moving van with a car hauler being it. Private person equals no CDL. A guy on the job need the CD to be legal.

Also, any commercial enforcement certified officer can a five ton and know it does not have an 8000 gvw.

Now the disclaimer. Check with the local commercial enforcement officer in your area. I know what the laws are in Tennessee and Michigan but most likely you will find the same CDL requirement exemptions from state to state because of people moving large RV's and Uhauls. It also seems that CA has other classes of non-commercial DL's while Michigan and Tennessee do not.

Autocar

California requires at least a non-commerical class B license for 3 axle trucks. Wether it has historical plates or not doesn't matter-still needs B. According to CVC, you need air brake endorsement for air brakes. I bought my 5 ton out of March AFB and stopped at the weight scales on the grapevine on the drive home and got pulled in for vehicle inspection. I have a B without air brake endorsement, they didn't say anything, probably cause CVC doesn't define what air brakes are. I had planned to argue that truck has hydraulic brakes, i.e., if you lose air system, you still have brakes(just not air assisted) but if you lose hydraulics then you lose brakes, therefore the truck has hydraulic brakes. As I said, CHP didn't ask. My take on whole thing is that you had better have the proper license, not from getting tagged by police aspect, but from a liability aspect. You get in accident and hurt someone and don't have proper license, you in big trouble with unfriendly lawyer.

Abert

So i did a search and this is where it lead. I know that there is many different oppinions on which DL you in CALIFORNIA and I would like to know if I were to bob a 5 ton here in CALIFORNIA if a non-Com class B would suffice or should i plan on getting the Commercial DL.

998Junkie

So i did a search and this is where it lead. I know that there is many different oppinions on which DL you in CALIFORNIA and I would like to know if I were to bob a 5 ton here in CALIFORNIA if a non-Com class B would suffice or should i plan on getting the Commercial DL.

I went the CDL route but I believe you can go non-commercial class A. A bobbed 5 ton two axle and 10 tons... Class B should be good. Check the DMV website.

M2HB

California requires at least a non-commerical class B license for 3 axle trucks. Wether it has historical plates or not doesn't matter-still needs B. According to CVC, you need air brake endorsement for air brakes. I bought my 5 ton out of March AFB and stopped at the weight scales on the grapevine on the drive home and got pulled in for vehicle inspection. I have a B without air brake endorsement, they didn't say anything, probably cause CVC doesn't define what air brakes are. I had planned to argue that truck has hydraulic brakes, i.e., if you lose air system, you still have brakes(just not air assisted) but if you lose hydraulics then you lose brakes, therefore the truck has hydraulic brakes. As I said, CHP didn't ask. My take on whole thing is that you had better have the proper license, not from getting tagged by police aspect, but from a liability aspect. You get in accident and hurt someone and don't have proper license, you in big trouble with unfriendly lawyer.

Well that's why 5-ton bobbers are so popular in Cali...:driver:

Unforgiven

Just bite the bullet and get the CDL A.

That way there's no arguing with Barney Fife in BFE about whether you're legal or not.

The written test is easy. Just go to trucking school for the rest.

GunGuy510

Ughhh... I might have gotten a deuce already if my home state wasn't so darn confusing. CVC is complex at best (interpreting of course) and talking with anybody at the DMV either on the phone or in person is frustrating at best. Called the DMV a while back, described the vehicle in detail as was told that my normal class C would work?! She cited that as long as the gross was under 26,001 lbs. I was good even with 3 axles and air-assist braking. I think I am just going to call a friend of my, an attorney, and just call in a favor and get him to figure it all out a give me a letterhead written explanation of what exactly I need.

Just saying all this IMHO, not trying to stir anything up, except trying to figure this out so I ..... we can buy and drive M35's happily!
:)

Then again, if it comes to it, non-commercial class B, very do-able...

Unforgiven

But if you ever pull a trailer it could put you over 26,000 combined weight, depending on how loaded the truck and trailer are.

Nevada has a retarded trailer class endorsement now. All the retirees with fifth-wheel travel trailers need special endorsements. It's a real pain in the keester. Nevada has severe budget problems at the moment. Funny how when the state has money problems the fees and requirements at the DMV go up. :roll:

And neighboring states such as Utah, California, & Arizona have different rules. They have to honor your Nevada license, but explaining Nevada laws to out-of-state troopers is simply an argument waiting to happen.

I plan to pull a Big-Dumb camping trailer behind a Deuce. That'll put me well into Nevada's special endorsement requirements for trailers.

I decided CDL A was the simplest solution. Every trooper in every state, even in BFE, knows what a CDL A is.

A CDL is really not that difficult to get. I think you should just get one to have all your bases covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks