• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton

Blendmaster2002

To start off this information is geared for California some may apply to other states, I have put this together due to many people having the same types of questions in threads or in PM’s to me, hopefully this will help them and others, this thread is also for me so I can give a link instead of typing it up when someone asks.

Load out/ Pickup: You should think about getting some insurance to drive or have it driven, plus a moving permit would help if pulled over. I didn’t drive any of my trucks home I decided the risks were too high with an unknown truck, on the other hand many have had no trouble at all. I recommend having it hauled.

Barstow specific Load out Pickup: they may have changed it, but you were allowed to drive/ tow stuff out but you were no longer allowed to add fluids or perform any maintenance until out the gate, I have towed trailers out no problem but put the mag lights on off GL site. You will need a copy of your paid in full invoice to pick up and it’s good to use to get on base, also to get on base you will need your DL, Reg for the vehicle you’re driving and proof of insurance for it. Oh and you need to call and make an appointment for pickup/ load out or you may drive up and they don’t have time for you! If you decide to have it hauled from Barstow PM me with your name and number and I will give it to a guy with a nice truck and a Land-all trailer with winch to have it hauled if he has the time and wants to do it, its side work for him (He has a paving company) his price is also fair, he hauled all mine home.

DMV: I used a local DMV Service, and highly recommend using one, you will need to call some in your local area, or to use the one I use which is now familiar with doing military vehicles, they will come out to you if you are local, if your not in the high desert but in SoCal you would need to present the truck to them for vin verification in Hesperia, if you want to use them I can get that contact info for you just PM me.

Title and Registration: What you will need is your Paid in Full Invoice printed out that shows what you paid and that you paid sales tax so you don’t have to pay the sales tax again! Next Bill of sale and transfer of SF97 page, and your SF97, You Can Not Do It Without The SF97 and GL bill of sale transfer of ownership. If you are not familiar with a Standard form 97, it is the U.S. paperwork to obtain title that you pay for (usually about $60.00) you fill it out online through GL, to fill it out you must have the exact truck make, year, type, vin and you must get the vin and most info off the truck as the GL description can and has been wrong, you must look at the trucks data plates for the empty unlaiden weight and the GVW and all other info on the truck it is almost like filling out the title. If the info is not on the truck you will have to find most likely online here on SS the manual’s for the truck. Make sure to fill out the weights empty and GVW correctly so you will not need to get the truck weighed. Make copies of everything, as on one truck Sacramento lost all of the paperwork and I had to give the DMV service the copies I made, plus later if you ever want to change registration type for instance from Historic to RV, the paperwork copies, especially the copy of the SF97 should make it easier. Try to find the vin number that’s on the Data plate and sf97 on the frame before vin verification, one of my trucks didn’t have it. You will need to decide how you want it registered, Commercial falls under the diesel law, Historical its exempt from the Diesel law, cheap to register $78 a year, but Vehicle must be atlest 25 years old to go historic and for deuces and 5 tons still only able to get a commercial insurance though. RV is also exempt and can get RV insurance in some cases.

California smog: The New California C.A.R.B Diesel law does not take effect until Jan 2015 at which case Commercial Registered Diesel powered over 14,000lbs manufactures GVW any year older than 2010, require the truck or engine be replaced with a 2010 or newer top tier engine with all related emission equipment, there is only 2 real exemptions/Registration options for our trucks 1 is Historic registration, 2 is RV House Car Motor Home registration not used for commercial purposes. when you read the law you will see a military vehicle exemption, it does not apply to us only Govt owned vehicles, and yes this includes deuces the multifuel is not exempt CARB told me still primarily a diesel due to compression ignition and no these are not pickup bed trucks they are considered stake/ cargo trucks.

Here’s a link to the regulation, the main thing to read is the final regulation order on the regulation page.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm

Additional RV House car Motor Home info:

From the California 2012 vehicle code
362. A “house car” is a motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. A motor vehicle to which a camper has been temporarily attached is not a house car except that, for the purposes of Division 11 (commencing with Section 21000) and Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000), a motor vehicle equipped with a camper having an axle that is designed to support a portion of the weight of the camper unit shall be considered a three-axle house car regardless of the method of attachment or manner of registration. A house car shall not be deemed to be a motortruck.
Amended Ch. 875, Stats. 1968. Effective November 13, 1968.

From California DMV miscellaneous certification form:
Certification of Vehicle for Human Habitation, Definition Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures and bath or toilet rooms.

If anyone wants to add something or I got somthing wrong post up.

Last edited:

Artisan

So your saying basically that any MV truck we buy from GL after 2015
that has a diesel, and is older than 2010 model year, we have to
pull the engine and put in a SMOG Legal engine?

If that is the case then I see the price of MV's w/ diesels pre 2010
dropping HUGE. Of corse they can be pulled out of state and used on private
land but swappin' in anything would cost huge.

PS, thanx for the post.

Blendmaster2002

Artisan No, Only if used commercially in California see first post, not just MV's click on the link in the first post to the official page for the regulation and read the Final Regulation Order on the regulation tab. The same goes for civilian trucks used for Profit, commercial Diesels over 14,000 GVW, trucks, Busses etc.

I know all this mainly because I was going to use my trucks commercially to start a tour business and spent time arguing with CARB California Air Resources Board and got nowhere except the same thing over and over replace the engine or truck, but good news you have until 2015 yeah right. I thought about getting completely out of the regulation by going to Big Block Chevy on propane or gas with correct smog equipment for that year but that’s another set of hoops going to a smog referee just to hear Well that truck didn’t originally ever come with that engine your going to have to do this and that etc… mpg would be bad too.

Like I said Historic and RV registration is the only real options in Cali at this point but must be 25 years or older for historic plates, the 25 rule for historic is why my 87 is registered commercial on non-op because it wasn’t old enough now it is I just haven’t got around to changing it over. To Go RV Motor Home use a Box or shop body truck made into livable space or on standard cargo trucks Bolt on an overhead pickup truck camper so it can qualify for RV, For the newer trucks RV would probably be the only option for a while.

Lextreme

Interesting post...... I am looking at the M923, how hard it is to get on the road legally? From GL to Home.. to the Street..

Blendmaster2002

Well Lex, to sum it up Register with GL, preview and I mean really preview drive out and look it over check the fluids and condition of the fluids and condition on the whole truck don’t trust the pictures or description because they can and have been wrong (they get items mixed up somtimes due to the volume they deal in), when you sign up with gl there contract basically states Preview not responsible for pictures or description’s you get whatever the number you bid on is stenciled on! or your choice is to default and pay the default fee. I am not try to scare you off at all, just inform you, its kind of fun and a real pain at the same time. Any way then place your bid, when you win you have three days to pay the total which will include your bid price +GL’s 10% Buyers premium +CA sales tax. Also make sure the lot or item your bidding on is not scrap only and or doesn’t state something like No SF97 or title to be issued for this lot. Then once you win, pay you fill out your Euc if required, mostly not required on the m9 series including the m923. Then You have Only 10 days to remove the item from GL lot from the time you receive a Paid In Full invoice Keep in mind that they only allow a few days out of the week for load out appointments usually at for instance Barstow MCLB its Tuesday and Thursday and sometimes on Wednesday at least last time I bought stuff. Then its your choice to drive or haul it, I state my opinion on that in the first post. Then then once you have the truck get your SF97 going (see first post for details). Then decide how you want to register it Historic, RV, commercial(see first post for details), either go to the Dmv or call a Dmv service(see first post for details). That’s kind of the basics. Good luck Biding Lex maybe see you with a new truck at a meet!

As far as how hard it is its not to bad its how I did my trucks, also other local members have done the same, like 1trucker who won a M923 off GL had the same basic questions before I started this thread, so I PM'd him with most the info in the first post and he ended up using the same DMV service I did and he is just waiting to get the plates as of a couple days ago!

Here’s his original thread, Recovered M923 from Barstow, Ca:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99571-Recovered-M923-from-Barstow-Ca&referrerid=19939

I tried to put most everything is in the first post as a guide for this, if you have any questions on anything just ask or shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

scottsdal

I am working on getting my M109 Shop Van registered Historical... However I bought it with-out a SF97 from a Private Party DMV wants to the know the year the Vehicle was made. The previous owner had no idea how do I find out?

Blendmaster2002

scottsdal, first look at the data plate on the pass side of the dash with the vin if you’re lucky it has a place for the year to be stamped. Example My Kaiser Jeep trucks have a place for the last two digits of the year to be stamped 19 --. My late model AM General truck does not and the year is the first two digits of the Vin 87--.

Blendmaster2002

Scottsdal, all my trucks Vin are too short and not the same as a normal Vin, my DMV service said it took a manager at the DMV to do an override, the DMV really didn’t like the 87 since after a certain year the criteria changed.

scottsdal

So I wanted to send everyone an update with attempt to register my truck. DMV has sent me to the highway patrol in order to determine the Vin. They looked at the data plate and disregarded the information. Yesterday the CHP officer called and said he would have to research it further.

Blendmaster2002

Quickfarms is right you must get a Vin verification done to tilte any of these trucks or trailers in CA, I did not really cover this in the first post. You can have it done several ways, one way is to have it done by a DMV Service, most will come out to the vehicle to do the Vin verification. Or you can take it to the DMV get the paperwork and have them do it. At the AAA DMV they will Not do trucks over 10,000 GVW vin verification or titling but they will do vin verification on trailers but not the trailer titling the military Vin number need override at the DMV and AAA can’t do it. You can also have it done by the CHP but you must have get the paperwork from the DMV.

Vin verification is done to verify the vehicle is to the paperwork your submitting for titling and registration, plus the type of vehicle, use etc.

Here’s a link to the DMV page with the form that will need filled out: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.htm

Scottsdal the above info is what you need to do but without and SF97 I don’t know how you will get it titled with just the bill of sale, you may want to call a DMV service they may know a way, You will need to get the truck weighed also.

scottsdal

Yes that is what I am currently working on. I took it DMV and they gave me the paper work to either have the VIN verified which DMV would not do at my local office. I have the data plate on the vehicle however they felt it was incorrect due to the length. So they gave me the paper work to take over to CHP and the officer their will either have to verify it or assign one to it. I spoke with officer a few days ago and he had no idea what to do with it. I explained that I wanted to register it historical so that I could drive it down to the rallies and for use in parades exct. We will have to see what the next step is for me. One thing I know for sure is that its a nightmare with out the SF-97...

Blendmaster2002

Scottsdal you may need this data from the TM's to help for Titling, for the Unladen weight and GVW, it may even pass so you do not have to get it weighed but you most likely will need to get it weighed, In the table below your Unladen weight is in the Net weight column and GVW would be the column next to it Cross Highway. You said the DMV was having trouble with the length so look at the dimensions table.

The images below all comes from a TM you can get right here on this site, TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

Attachments

Blendmaster2002

Moto4life You don’t state how you have your truck registered but if you have it registered Commercial yes your truck falls under the CARB Diesel Law, See the link in the first post of this thread to the CARB site click on the regulation tab then click on the final regulation and that’s the law in black and white. Historic registered vehicles are exempt and so are RV registered vehicles (Bolt a cab over camper on your truck) that are not used for commercial purpose.

To clear up some of the confusion the images below are Tables from the California Air Resources Board Final Regulation Order and apply to all commercial trucks in California over 14,000 lbs manufacturer's GVW. Deuces fall under table 1, 5 tons table 2.

Attachments

Last edited:

Moto4Life

Thank you for the clarification. Currently it's registered commercial since I like to drive it somewhat often. My impression was that once you title it as an historic vehicle you are limited on when you can drive it (such as to and from car shows or other events of that nature), I may have misunderstood the DMV info though. Your research is much appreciated!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks