• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California Trailer Registration

paramilusmc

Question, what does one have to do to register a trailer in the state of CA? Do you have to take it to the DMV or are their forms you can mail in or register it on their website? Any information is much appreciated.

Trailer would be an M101.

I don't know about registering with a SF97, but if it's got a title then I would go to one of the places that take care of your registration for you. The DMV is a pain out there. If you have base access there used to be a place that would take care of everything for you on Miramar by the flightline next to the T. Or if you have to I would go to the DMV in Poway, it seemed easier to me when I was out there. Also, last I checked it cost the same to put permanent plates on trailers out there as it did to put 5 year plates. Good luck and if you need to I would call the DMV help line at 1-800-777-0133.

hole

Generally speaking, DMV can be a pain concerning MV,s. Trailers however are pretty simple as long as the SF97 has the same #'s as the data plate. It took me longer to find a place to park the Deuce &105 so the trailer could be inspected than it took inside filling out papers. Paid $20 and the nice lady handed me plates. It doesnt get much easier than that :D

paramilusmc

I'm kind of out of the state, but my truck is still registered in the state of CA. So looking for a way to remotely register the trailer. And the trailer was formerly registered by its owner in another state so I imagine it has a title?

paramilusmc

Generally speaking, DMV can be a pain concerning MV,s. Trailers however are pretty simple as long as the SF97 has the same #'s as the data plate. It took me longer to find a place to park the Deuce &105 so the trailer could be inspected than it took inside filling out papers. Paid $20 and the nice lady handed me plates. It doesnt get much easier than that :D
So they have to physically inspect the trailer?

hole

It's probably pretty easy with a title, but I cant help with any knowledge about remote registration. Hopefully someone can chime in with better advice about that.

Nick

I did mine without an SF97. Its a 1952 so I told em it has had who knows how many owners. I tried doin mine just in paperwork, but they told me they needed to see it. So I brought it in, and just about every clerk in the office had to come out and look at it, they didnt know what numbers to use for the registration. I finally stopped them and told them to use the serial number on the data plate. My trailer has two plates welded on the tongue "A" frame, they used those as a secondary. I was lucky, I told them I wanted to use the Calif program YOM, Year of Manufature, so I could use 1951 plates with a 1952 registration tab, and they did that along with the Perm trailer. 56 bucks every 5 years!.

Nick

dubois9837

I agree that Maine tags are the way to go. I registered my M101A2 in Maine a couple months ago and was amazed at how easy it was. I just emailed a copy of my invoice from GL, paid $90 plus 5% Maine sales tax on my $276 trailer, and I had my plate and registration mailed to my house in about a week. Very easy!