• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling Mr. Cranetruck...Courteous Phone for Mr. Cranetruck

The PIG Smith

I’ve been reading about your 1969 Ford XM757 8x8 tractor and am ultra fascinated.
I have a few question your truck and instead of a sending a private message, I thought I would create a public posting as other may want to know more about your truck as well.

I’ve done some searching and it seems you are the only one with a rig like this.
Even the Google searching I have done seems to come back to your name and truck.
Do you know of any others that still exist?
Do you know the reason why yours was spared from the scraper’s torch?

Are there any websites, like http://www.olive-drab.com, that would give some information about these series of trucks?

I got the impression from your postings that most of the XM757 was built with many off the shelf commercial components.
The axles seem to be more commercial than what is seen in traditional tactical trucks.
What other parts do you feel are more commercial in style than tactical?
Do you feel the design of the cab was influenced by commercial cabover semi trucks of that era?
The reason I ask, the face of the XM757 seems to be from a Kenworth or other early 70ish cabover truck.

The big question I am most curious about the placement of the fifth wheel.
I understand the trailer (launcher?) that carried the Pershing Missile had a very long goose neck.
Likewise HET M-747 trailer has a very long goose neck.
The fifth was placed to best distribute the load on the tractor.
So, with the fifth wheel located so far from rear of the truck, can you connect up to a conventional semi trailer?
Is the fifth wheel of a standard style that would accept the kingpin of a conventional semi trailer?
If not, could the fifth be relocated in a manner that it would not look non-stock
…or otherwise look more goofy that a 8x8 tractor would look with a regular old 40’ trailer? <snicker>
Wonder if there are commercial “low boy” trailers would work without modifications?

How is the turning radius on a 4 axle truck?
I cannot seem to get mind wrapped about the idea of 2 steering axles
I want to jump to the conclusion that it would take a lot space to turn it around.
Then, my intellect tells me that with 2 steering axles, it should turn sharper than I give it credit for.

Wow…the more I think and the more I write, the more I want to know, but I will stop here with questions.
Thank you very much for sharing your truck with us.
I'd love to own a 8x8 tractor likes yours...but I think I will ever be able to hope for is a M-818.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a couple out there. There's one in the PNW, SECO has one, Hawthorne Tractor has one. There's a couple in CA. Jack's in Tucson has an engine. Most seem to be the cargo versions though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bryan, don't know what gave you the impression that commercial components were used, far from it, the m656/xm757 series trucks were built from scratch to military specifications.
The all aluminum cab is designed to have the boyancy to keep the front of the vehicle above water and it's not a cab-over type design of the conventional style. It was designed to move relatively fast cross country with light weight and as little as possible unsprung weight.
The tires, engine, transmission, suspension and frame were designed speicifically for the series. Tires are tubeless, low profile bias ply (radials were also tested), engine equipped to run submerged, transmission has small increment six speeds forward and built-in hydraulic retarder.
Brakes are 100% air and "sealed for life" as are many other assemblies.
The list goes on. Less than 500 were ever made and delivered to the Army during 1969 for the Pershing 1A missile system, the majority served in Germany under a 15 year period. One battalion was stationed at Ft Sill, OK, where mine came from. A running truck will cost from $10,000 to $20,000.

Attachments

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We, (the Firelands Military Vehicle Group) can vouch for what Bjorn is telling you, we also have one we're attempting to restore and he's helped us with parts location. There is NOTHING standard or "off the shelf" with this rig. Even the tires are wierd and difficult to get. But they ARE nice rigs. Ours currently has a fuel problem causing our mechanics some grief.2cents

The PIG Smith

Bryan, don't know what gave you the impression that commercial components were used, far from it, the m656/xm757 series trucks were built from scratch to military specifications.
Thank you for the reply.
This was the mean reason that I created this posting, for an education.
Any impression of a commercial influence I had is way off base.
I stand corrected.

Fifth Wheel
A second point I was way wrong about: the length of the neck of the trailer(launcher?) that the xm757 was designed to tow.
I found this picture (I think maybe you have posted it as well) that shows a good view of the trailer.

It does not appear that this trailer has an excessive neck, thus maybe a standard (non-launcher style) could be hooked up and towed.

One battalion was stationed at Ft Sill, OK, where mine came from.
Sounds just like the Lance Missle units I served with in the early 80's.
Two battalions in Fort Sill and six battalions in Germany.

A running truck will cost from $10,000 to $20,000.
Yeah, I fgured if I perspn could find a tractor, it would cost that much to buy one and bring it home and then only know how much more $$$ to get it to run.

I did find this ad:
Military-Vehicles: [MV] XM757 for sale

Tractor,70 Ford XM757 8x8 5 Ton, Cummins LDS 465, multifuel, ex
military designed to carry 85,000 pounds off road, was running when
parked, engine still turns, fuel probably gelled. first $2500 buys it,
(937) xxx-xxxx Dayton OH

But, of course, it dated 1998 :sad:
Mmmmm....Dayton is not that far from Fort Wayne....reaches for the phone....<snicker>

Once again, thank you for sharing your truck with us and for squaring me away!

The PIG Smith

Capt Pat,

I would like to come up and see your truck sometime (when it's warmer)
I spend a fair amount time in your neck of the woods on Put-in-Bay and Kelly's Island.

My son and I have been planning for a few years now to walk from Catabwa over to Put-in-Bay on the Ice, but have not been able to make it happen.
Last year was to warm for the Lake to freeze from the mainland to the island.

Is the 8x8 that your group is working on a cargo or tractor?

Is it possible to purchase a hulk and instead of restoring back to factory original, modify with components that a person could get parts and support for?
Like maybe a use a 5 ton multifuel for a donor?
Just thinking out loud....

Stalwart

I had the M656 of that same truck, it was an absolute joy to drive and had a good turning radius for its size. I believe it would even out-run my HEMTT to 60 with the 385 radials on it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a hulk to start, either SECO or Hawthorne Tractor each has the cargo version. One was missing the motor but I don't remember whose it was w/o the motor.

Stalwart

The engine was special too, it was the only truck with the "-2" engine that lacked the multifuel rating. It made WAY more power than any of the "-1A-D" engines. The last one I saw for sale, they were asking $7500 for it (engine in the can, rebuilt). I sold my truck for $10,000 in an unmolested state, pretty much complete running and driving. The new owner, last I heard, was making good progress on bringing it back to proper working order. He was doing it smart, one system at a time.

The PIG Smith

Thanx for those pics of the cargo version.

I am interest is with the tractor version.

One of my other interests is Historic Construction Equipment.
I am non-active member of the Historical Construction Equipment Association.
Historical Construction Equipment Association
My goal of owning a MV tractor is to be able haul an antique dozer.
This is why I have been lusting after a M-818

If (HUGE IF) I were to drag home a hulk that was the cargo version, I would somehow convert it to be a tractor.
Do not take my thoughts or ideas the wrong way.
If I were to modify a hulk cargo 8x8 to be a tractor, I would do my very best to make it appear to be a factory XM-747.
If I would not be able to pull that off, then my backup plan would be to try to make it look like what an XM-747A1 would look from the factory.
Maybe even silkscreen a new data plate for the dash to reflect my interpretation of an A1 model.
However, I am not holding my breath for me to start a project like this anytime soon.
I've got way more others projects way ahead of these dreams.

Last edited:

ptg530C

if you are interested in dual front steering axle trucks, check out Man trucks
www.man.eu

by the way, the hyperkinetic diesel used in our dueces is built under license from MAN

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the thread with the pics of the pickup of the 8x8? Found several of the trip but not the one with the pics???

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We get quite a few folks from the Ft. Wayne area over here. There are a couple of charterboat owners in the Port Clinton area that actually live over there. Yes, you can visit any time. The truck is stored at Beamer's Farm Service on County Road 24 just off Rt 4 south of Bellevue, Ohio Along with a couple other of our larger pieces. (don't think you'd want to try walking to the islands this year either, the ice was good for awhile, the ice fishing nuts were out even though the freighters are not planning on laying up till some time in February, so the ice breaking tugs are making ALOT of money. One from Malcom Marine out of St Clair, Mich has been working down here for a couple weeks now So the ice is dangerous at best. But if you're coming up some time give me a call (419) 626-6349 so I can let the Beamers know. (one's our treasurer the other, his son is our vice prez)

oldMan99

This Ford was on fleabay about 18months ago.
(How do you "Quote" pictures?)

Now that truck with the water tank removed, frame extended and my 24' RV conversion box installed....

Just wondering do you know what it sold for? Do you happen to have the item #? I wold be curious to read what they said about it if it still comes up. Please PM me so we don't end up hi-jacking this cool thread...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks