• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camo Paint on M1008

sht2kll

Howdy All: I found online somewhere before I found this site, a TM that had the paint pattern for my M1008. The one thing I did not like the the 3 color panit using the green/Brown/Black colors. My truck is OD green and i want this as a base but I was thinking of using a dark Earth Yellow in place of the Brown and The dark Earth Brown in place of the Black. When I Woodland camo paint my guns, I do not use Black. I am not sure why they use black in the camo paint schemes as black is not natural. Can anyone tell me if the military used any other camo designs besides the Green/Brown/ black or the desert camo colors?

Divemaster920

Banned
" Can anyone tell me if the military used any other camo designs besides the Green/Brown/ black or the desert camo colors? "

Yes they did.

Pawnshop

On a CUCV the US military only used solid 383 green, solid 686 tan, or three color 383 green/brown/black, usually... Before anyone jumps on me for using the word "ONLY" I will say that the regs called for those paint schemes on the CUCV, what was done at the unit level could be anything! I have seen a M1009 painted Strata Blue, I OWN one that was painted pink when it left the base, anything is possible! If you want it to look "right" 383 three color camo is the answer. If you want other colors you could go with the earlier MERDC camo scheme used on the Dodge CUCV in the 70's, which had been replaced by the time the Chevy based CUCV came to the US military.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TB 43-0147 covers the MERDEC camo patterns. It is also in the TM section.

That camo pattern was obsolete by the time the CUCV's came into service, so is only accurate for prototype/pre-production vehicles. It does look nice though in its various colours.

As mentioned by JB, the use of black in camo patterns gives the impression of shadows and also gives a forced depth to the pattern. If you park a 3-colour truck in the woods and back off a bit, you will see that it is actually very effective. The idea is to break up the shape and make it difficult to tell what you are looking at.

On non-standard patterns- The Marines are notorious for painting their vehicles in colours that work for them at the time. We often used water based paint that could be washed off later. We used a lot of whitewash in Norway, the size of the patches depended on how snowy it was at the time.

In the end, it is your truck, paint it in a way that makes you happy. If others don't like it, they can look at something else...:p
I really don't like what some SS folks do with their vehicles, but I have no right, or need, to comment negatively on it unless it directly effects me, which hasn't happened yet and isn't likely to..;-)

Cheers

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks