• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camo paint

Dpas1973

I want to keep the same camo patter but repaint it. Did you guys that have repainted camo use free hand or tape off each color? Can’t find any stencil online or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nattieleather

I've always free handed it. I know the instruction manual for the 4 color MERC patterns said to use a chalk pencil or soap to lay out the pattern, but I have always felt that that would lead to a messy job (at lease for me) so I just free handed it and they have come out good IMHO. If you are following the pattern on the truck that makes it easier than going from scratch.

Reactions: 98G

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Free hand. Allows for a soft line between colors. Just turn paint down and have a tighter pattern around borders of colors.
It is an an art form. Free hand... with a little practice for the HumV hobby can be fun and rewarding. AND wouldn't you know it... there's a TM (TB) for that.

OR

Get a big BIG piece of cardboard ie: Box that a refrigerator of mattress came in (alley dumpster search) to practice on. Sketch out a simple pattern or looking at a picture to duplicate while keeping a mental grid lines going in you head. Close is good enough.

Tune the gun to get the cut and lay you looking for. It's all in the set-up and prep. Better now than later.

Trying to stay between the lines, CAMO

fpchief

I've always free handed it. I know the instruction manual for the 4 color MERC patterns said to use a chalk pencil or soap to lay out the pattern, but I have always felt that that would lead to a messy job (at lease for me) so I just free handed it and they have come out good IMHO. If you are following the pattern on the truck that makes it easier than going from scratch.
Not had to do any Merc....not sure if I would do good on it. one more color and if I remember correctly a lot smaller tighter patterns too.

fpchief

It is an an art form. Free hand... with a little practice for the HumV hobby can be fun and rewarding. AND wouldn't you know it... there's a TM (TB) for that.

OR

Get a big BIG piece of cardboard ie: Box that a refrigerator of mattress came in (alley dumpster search) to practice on. Sketch out a simple pattern or looking at a picture to duplicate while keeping a mental grid lines going in you head. Close is good enough.

Tune the gun to get the cut and lay you looking for. It's all in the set-up and prep. Better now than later.

Trying to stay between the lines, CAMO
Close is definitely good enough. Well said!!!! And beats paying someone to do something you can definitely do yourself.

Crapgame

I spent most of a home station AT with 550th MI Bn, 78th ARCOM, hand-painting the MERDC pattern on M35 and the Mil Van version and some CUCVs. All they gave me was a very bad grey scale copy of the TM page, told me to just get it as close as I could.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks