• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camo Pattern Options

ryker725

My deuce currently has the 3 color camp pattern, but the cab, bed and troop seats have 3 distinctly different color brown colors which leads me to believe that the bed was replaced at some point and the troop seats were put on after that. The bed is in near perfect condidtion while the cab has a lot of surface rust and flaking paint. I have some CARC 383 that I will shoot the entire truck with as soon as I finish my prep work (which is going very slow due to time restrictions).

I really do not care for the standard brown and dull black colors currently on the cab (see my profile pic).

I would like to see what types of camo patterns and colors are being used with the 383 Green base coat. I like darker colors.. I'm looking for ideas, so please post your truck pics with your camo colors/pattern along with the brand paints used.

Oldfart

The military actually has specifications for camo patterns per each vehicle with color combinations for different field conditions. I had a short conversation with a National Guard Captian last week where he told me they made up the paint schemes based on what seemed to work best. I don't think the rank and file military paid any attention to the specificied pattern, but did what seemed to work in the field.

If you are interested, this is a link to a PDF file of a TM that shows unit marking locations and camo patterns for various specific vehicles.

tb43-0209

There is a thread about using house paints that was started by Gunfreak which is interesting and since that thread started, I have talked with several people who have used latex house paints with great success for applying a camo pattern.

My own view about CARC paint is that unless my vehicle expects to see combat where biological and chemical agents are used, there is not much point in the extra expense and difficulty in application.

ryker725

Oldfart thanks!! I've already reviewed the TM section regarding patterns and I will be referring to the TM after I spray on the base coat to mark out the actual camo patterns.

I have the type I CARC in 383 green which I understand will stick to darn near anything with minimal surface prep and that it is fairly easy to handle and spray. I used to be an industrial painter so I'm pretty decent with a spray gun. The only combat my truck will see is kids climbing around on it. I already have the 383 CARC and intend to use it because, well it is bought and paid for..

I am simply looking to see what different color schemes members are using on their trucks with the olive drab base coats, and the brand name and color of the paints they used. I'm just looking for ideas. The truck doesn't have to meet any color specification. I just want a good looking camo paint job when its done.. I'm thinking Rapco or Rust Oleum rattle cans in darker brown/rust and a darker black color. Not really interested in using latex house paint although I've seen some nice camo jobs using house paint.

ODDBALL007

If you are interested, this is a link to a PDF file of a TM that shows unit marking locations and camo patterns for various specific vehicles.

tb43-0209

There is a thread about using house paints that was started by Gunfreak which is interesting and since that thread started, I have talked with several people who have used latex house paints with great success for applying a camo pattern.
QUOTE]
hey there oldfart. Sounds funny sayin that lol but anyways jus wanted to say thanks for the tb43 deal. Im gonna use it on my suburban

Attachments

Oldfart

I wasn't suggesting you should do anything "stock". We got our M220 in white from Yuma Proving Ground because it reflects the heat well in that enviroment. Originally we were thinking we would repaint in vintage OD, but we decided to keep it as we got it so to speak. We used a combination of rattle cans and spray gun to get it repainted flat white. We considered semi-gloss for a more dressy look, but finally settled on flat as before. What we did find was the Krylon rattle cans ran badly and did not cover well. Rustoleum worked much better. Most of the paint was 1 qt. cans of Rustoleum because we could not find gallon cans anywhere close by. My son repainted his 3 color M105 hard top trailer using Krylon rattle cans. He followed the existing patterns and the camo paint colors were a very close match. He complained about runny paint with the lighter camo colors. He got some Rustoleum to finish up and he was much happier with how that applied. Both of these repaints were better looking than the originals. There were hand prints in the white paint on the body roof where someone had spray painted over his left hand a couple of times. Your deuce looks like a really clean and straight truck

ryker725

Thanks. It is a 67 Kaiser but has obviously gone through a refurb or 2 over the years. It is definitely worth fixing up and getting it looking good. My only real work is surface rust. No cancer anywhere. The Hercules MF runs excellent!

Flyingvan911

You could get some cardboard and some colors you like and make a few test runs. See what colors look good and go with it. If it looks good on the box, it should look good on the truck. Paint it how you like it.

ryker725

You could get some cardboard and some colors you like and make a few test runs. See what colors look good and go with it. If it looks good on the box, it should look good on the truck. Paint it how you like it.
That was sort of my original plan. I was just hoping to find something one of you guys did that strikes my fancy with the color info so I'm not buying paint to test colors. Call me cheap!!