• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Delta at Tower Park Meet 4/ 14-21/13 near Lodi, CA

Major Asstyrd

The largest annual MV swap meet and show in the West is again hosted by the Military Vehicle Collectors of California 4/14-21/2013. Location is the Stockton Delta KOA at Tower Park Resort, six miles west of I-5 on State Route 12. For pro and amateur vendors this is a low cost event - FREE except for your paid campsite through KOA! NO admission charge, NO MV registration fee, NO parking fee, and NO SNIVELLING! Vendors must rent campsites. Large, mostly shady, grassy, full-hookup sites, dry camping option, plus KOA Kabins. CAMPING MAY BE BOOKED FOR SPRING MEET. GET ON WAIT LIST OR SEE LODGING NEARBY ON OUR WEBSITE. Our primary vehicle showcase will be “USN & USMC Vehicles” on Friday morning with a People's Choice contest and cash prizes sponsored by Surplus City Jeep Parts. Military watercraft are invited, in or out of the water. ALCAN Convoy March Unit #8 MV Display & Discussion, Friday afternoon, all ALCAN participants welcome to join in, bring your photos too. Halftrack Discussion Group & Social Saturday. California State Military Museum Display in conjunction with the State Military Reserve and Center for Military History. Recognition for Longest Distance Driving a MV, Longest Distance Transporting a MV, and Hard Luck Award getting to or during the event. Friday is Uniform Day (as is every day!). Madame's Afternoon Social for the ladies on Friday. MASH 4077 Party at Rosa's restaurant Saturday night. MVCC Meeting Saturday morning - election nominations and MVPA Convention info from a MVPA Director. MV commuter parking close-in, Friday nite raffle, lunch vendor, BBQ dinners, restaurant with bar, marina, boat ramp & rentals, store, ice cream shop. Pool with water features for the kids plus adult pool, spa. For camping info you MUST contact our own Jo-Ann Lesser at mamalesser@yahoo.com or 408-440-6068. Unlike at the September meet, KOA is not authorized to assign sites for the Spring meet. Activities Coordinator is John Neuenburg at in_garage@hotmail.com or 415-491-1601. For more details including hotel list, important parking info, directions, see event calendar at www.mvccnews.net. All welcome! Don't forget the second largest annual MV meet in the west, the September version of Camp Delta at the same great location. We also encourage YOU to join the MVCC - the oldest regional MV club in the U.S.!

Photos from the "Concours d'Eleguns" at a recent Camp Delta:

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I am looking at trying to attend this show. If I do, I'll go from west coast to east coast all within 2 weeks.
Having never been to the show....

Is there forklift capability provided on site?
How big are the spaces? I plan to bring a deuce with a M1061 trailer with goodies some of which will need a lift.
I see it runs all week, historically is it really busy the whole week or will most people come only on Fri/Sat 19/20 Apr?
What is the main business, is it a jeep club or will there be a lot of M35/M800/M900 series folks there?

I saw some of the pictures and film but a lot seemed like WWII and jeeps. I wish I had they stuff but don't.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at trying to attend this show. If I do, I'll go from west coast to east coast all within 2 weeks.
Having never been to the show....

Is there forklift capability provided on site?
How big are the spaces? I plan to bring a deuce with a M1061 trailer with goodies some of which will need a lift.
I see it runs all week, historically is it really busy the whole week or will most people come only on Fri/Sat 19/20 Apr?
What is the main business, is it a jeep club or will there be a lot of M35/M800/M900 series folks there?

I saw some of the pictures and film but a lot seemed like WWII and jeeps. I wish I had they stuff but don't.
I'll try to answer some of your questions.
I've seen a forklift at the Tower park marina so there may be a way to get you that support. If i have the wrecker restored by then I could also help with it but no promises.
It does run all week. I'll be there Thurs thru Sat and leave Sunday morning. It's pretty busy most of the week but especially from Wed. thru Sat. Yet lots of folks leave Saturday afternoon.
there are mostly jeeps/smaller vehicles but there are several of us M35 folks that like to show up and fill the air with plenty of nice diesel scented fragrance.
I hope you come, it's always nice to meet more SS folks in person. I'll be hosting my annual free chili dog feast on Saturday the 20th.

Major Asstyrd

Bigmike is right about all that. By Wednesday it's getting busy. Some like to get set up before then so they can relax and watch the buildup. Or get bargains. Some who are there a lot of days leave Saturday afternoon but some can't arrive until Friday evening or Sat. morning so are there until Sunday. There will be a dinner Saturday evening in the Pavilion and that's a way to wind down. The last Sunday is for pulling out or very last minute bargains.

As a percentage we have more 1940s-50s MVs in the West than you see in the East, but considering the meet is one of the largest in the country then the numbers of M-series can be pretty high. More and more are coming into the market.

One feature of Camp Delta that is a negative for some but good for others is the lack of local off-roading. We might have some dirt roads open up this year but traditionally most folks cruise slow around the campgrounds and marina area, or take road trips around the delta region, or go into Lodi for wine tasting or shopping. The Delta Loop is scenic and interesting if you want to visit various marina restaurants. There is some talk about an organized road run, maybe to use radios. But most folks hang around Tower Park and that's why the vendor side of the event is so big. Lots of buyers, sellers, tire kicking, and socializing.

I'll check with the Marina and the boat sales/repair companies about a forklift, and with one MV parts vendor who has brought one in the past and will pass on what I learn.

Last edited:

quickfarms

I have been asking for seven months about what spaces are available without getting an answer.

I would like to bring my USN 15 ton, the truck in my avatar. They mentioned dry camping, which is supposed to be period correct, but that is not a big issue for me because the truck is modern. the truck was in iraq during the current war and it's records are missing during the period of the first gulf war. the truck has a MEP 903 onboard. The issue I have is fuel, I would need to refuel every other day.

Major Asstyrd

I have been asking for seven months about what spaces are available without getting an answer.

I would like to bring my USN 15 ton, the truck in my avatar. They mentioned dry camping, which is supposed to be period correct, but that is not a big issue for me because the truck is modern. the truck was in iraq during the current war and it's records are missing during the period of the first gulf war. the truck has a MEP 903 onboard. The issue I have is fuel, I would need to refuel every other day.
Our camping coordinator Jo-Ann already has your info and will be in touch. She does most of her organizing about now and as the event gets closer. As you know, KOA does not assign campsites for the Spring event as the do for the September version.

Although a full hookup site may be available, if you go with a dry camping site know that most of this is NOT "living history" oriented. Any gear or vehicles are fine - just no utilities or picnic table provided. We do have a high profile display area that is NOT for camping except if living history in nature, because that to us is a display. For the rescord we also have some high profile parking spots for MVs only. This would be for day-users such as those commuting from hotels or home, or if their MV does not fit in their campsite for some reason. Civvy rigs park elsewhere.

We will make room for you one way or another and we'd love to see your truck in the Friday display.

Barneyszoo

I would love to make it this time i've heard so many good things about it. It will prob be mid week Tues- Fri for me if anyone is putting together a SoCal conv I would like to be a part of it.

quickfarms

I would love to make it this time i've heard so many good things about it. It will prob be mid week Tues- Fri for me if anyone is putting together a SoCal conv I would like to be a part of it.
We are planning to run several trucks up there. The truck in my avatar and a semi car carrier are onboard.

We are planning on taking the 99 because the 5 is to beat up

What are you planning on driving?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No worries about the off roading for me. I'm a come and set up and watch kind of guy. Any idea how big each campsite is if I get a bare base camp. Does the camping space also serve as the vending space?

The biggest issue will most likely be a forklift and the fact it is a 1100 mile drive.

I don't need anything fancy and I figure there'll be sana-pots. It'd be nice if there is a shower available.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The spaces vary in size and they do double as your vending site. This is a KOA campground so the facilities are nice. They have real rest rooms and showers
WOW!!!!! You all are going to spoil me. I'm use to the Aberdeen $XX per broom closet and sani-pots and asphalt with no shade. You all trying to convert me to a west coaster???

quickfarms

WOW!!!!! You all are going to spoil me. I'm use to the Aberdeen $XX per broom closet and sani-pots and asphalt with no shade. You all trying to convert me to a west coaster???
Wait until you see the weather out here. They think a little drizzle or snow flurries is a major event

Major Asstyrd

We will publicize convoy details (from south, north, wherever) in our original posts here, on the G503.com event forum, www.mvccnews.net, and anywhere else where they give us enough space including the MVCC Newsletter because we have many members in SoCal, Nevada, Oregon. Maybe we can get the other clubs to mention it too. Somebody just pick the meeting times & places, average convoy speed planned, radio freqs or cell numbers, and put it all in a post and if this thread ends up lots of pages I'll reference the convoy in the OP and link to the page where the details are. The nice thing about convoys is only Tail End Charlie gets rear ended!

Regarding weather, we never get snow but it can rain. Most people just check weather.com for Lodi and if it looks risky, plan tarps, tents, and long tent pins. Most campsites have a big tree so it's not hard to rig some protection. Vendors using canopies or even clear plastic sheets over merchandise get a lot of action during rain. Damp ground is actually nice in Campground #4 because many of those lanes are gravel/dirt and there will be no dust. CG #2 lanes and the main road through CG #4 are paved. Usually there are no rainy days and often temps can be very mild.

BTW, KOA rents metal fire pits and has firewood. Fires on the ground are not allowed because the peat soil can smolder underground! Best fire pits I see are washing machine drums on bricks. G.I. cherry bombs are nice too.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks