• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Deuter

NVMessner

So I picked up this deuce a few weeks back, few of you may recall the mayday, and the plan is to live in it for the next few months. 1 the weather will be nice. 2 it will help save some funds. 3 we can and it will be a hoot. So I thought I'd post up some pics of the build. The idea is after we live in it We would have a schweet camp rig, with the ability to take it all out and use as a truck if need be. Got the bed done today. I'll try and upload some pics along the way.

Attachments

NVMessner

Today the wife stained the bed and I finished up the sink cabinet...mostly. Just needs some sanding and stain. I am in need of a canvas. I was told the one I got with the rig was the earlier style. It doesn't hang down the back and sides that much. So I'll be lookin into a newer one this week.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Today the wife stained the bed and I finished up the sink cabinet...mostly. Just needs some sanding and stain. I am in need of a canvas. I was told the one I got with the rig was the earlier style. It doesn't hang down the back and sides that much. So I'll be lookin into a newer one this week.​
If it were me and I was going to live in the bed for a while I'd extend the bows up so you can walk upright.

Take it from me, that bending and stooping to move around in there will get very old very fast.

You could get a civy tarp that would cover the higher bows and make some end curtains from other tarps.

This comes from the voice of experience. I put a lot of miles on a deuce when I was in Germany and did a lot of loading/unloading. It will break your back after a while.

Just my two cents worth, your mileage may vary.

dmetalmiki

Totally agree with the above, looks like your going to have a blast with that truck. But then that is what you (must) do when you are that much younger and have or make the opportunity. Nice (and determined) preparation, Enjoy. What size wheels and tires are fitted to front and back? It looks kind of high towards the rear.

NVMessner

Yeah I was noticing the height problem as my head smacked a few bows...more than once. That was next on the agenda. I just needed to find a cover first. It's actually proving difficult to find a campground that will let us stay there. I guess they are considering the deuce a tent trailer... Kind of frustrating.

NVMessner

We were able to get some more done this weekend. Mainly the wife. I spent most of the weekend getting my k5 runnin...and no it's not a M1009...I wish. Just a 78 that was really mistreated. Somewhat like Deuter. To catch you guys up. We had finished the bed and sink cabinet, but both needed finishing touches...hinges handles latches and stain/poly. After those were finished it was on to lighting and other NickNaks. The wife bought some solar lights, rugs, table and chairs, storage racks, and some material to cover up the troop carriers. I pressure washed the PO's flaky paints but there was a lot left and not a lot of time to finish. So I wackertacked some white fabric to cover it up. We are waiting on our queen size futon mattres, should be here this week. Now to find a campground that will take us...

Attachments

NVMessner

So its been a few days. Tonight is our second night in Deuter. We drove up Sunday night fairly late and had a bit of a brake issue. I almost got to the top of the grade here to Arrowhead and my brakes started to drag then locked up completely. I was barely able to get off the road. So we hopped into a room that night. The next day on lunch I was able to get the truck to the campground no problem...I'm think in air bubble in fluid....go in from less than 1000ft to above 5000ft caused it to expand... I don't know just spit ballin. But it's here and it's fun. Its been in the upper 30s at night here, but with our little space heater it's been fine.20160509_155511.jpg

Attachments

So its been a few days. Tonight is our second night in Deuter. We drove up Sunday night fairly late and had a bit of a brake issue. I almost got to the top of the grade here to Arrowhead and my brakes started to drag then locked up completely. I was barely able to get off the road. So we hopped into a room that night. The next day on lunch I was able to get the truck to the campground no problem...I'm think in air bubble in fluid....go in from less than 1000ft to above 5000ft caused it to expand... I don't know just spit ballin. But it's here and it's fun. Its been in the upper 30s at night here, but with our little space heater it's been fine.View attachment 622211
Had a similar experience. It was my master cylinder. The piston was binding on rust in the bore behind the cup and did not fully return.

A air bubble will not cause the brakes to drag as the pressure will just be released through the master cylinder to the reservoir.

So most likely ether you master or air pack is binding and not returning all the way.

Now if its only one wheel dragging it could be a wheel cylinder or brakes that are adjusted to tight.

Last edited:

NVMessner

I called and talked to them. They said to check the air pressure relief valve. They said there's no way it was a hydraulic problem because they went through everything. I checked last night and felt the air stopped feeding when it got to 120psi. I've never heard the PPSSSSSSHHHH sound that comes with the relief valve, but it's also a loud truck.

dmetalmiki

Post up progress, and did you solve the brake problem?. Jack up each wheel and see if one is binding. Check the Free play in the Brake Pedal. You MUST have 1 1/2" - 2" Free play. 120 P.S.I. Is good, then a click or pop As mentioned. IF it was over pressurizing you would soon know, As you would would hear a (Seriously!) Loud Blast of air coming out of the Brake Air tank Safety Valve Under the truck.
P.S. Whilst rotating a wheel to check for free movement and no drag, Have your Good Lady Apply the brakes FIRMLY, then release the brakes (with the air built up, But the Engine SWITCHED OFF, And listen for the release of air from the air pack. and at the same time feel for the release of the brakes as you turn the wheel. Hope this Helps.

Clay James

I've had this brake problem on both of mine. One was the master cylinder had gotten some water in it which rusted the differential port not allowing the fluid to return properly. The other was the air pack. It will be fine after it sits and acts like normal. Get out driving and it will start dragging again. Once they start doing this they won't stop until it's fixed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks