• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Deuter

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a closer look at your photo above, and I can see some streaking on your wheel adapter...that is usually indicative of a failed axle outer gasket, which is an easy fix (remove 8 bolts/lock nuts with 3/4" socket, pull axle shaft out, remove old paper gasket & install new gasket... available from Erik's).

NVMessner

It's definitely brake fluid. Not stinky thick gear oil. It's just a little frustrating because the brakes were just gone through. New axle seals and zipper boots. I appreciate the help fellas. I'm just contemplating my options. It's parked in the dirt and all I have is a portable tool set and a 20 ton bottle jack. I could get some wood cribbing, but I'm not sure if I can get the lug nuts off. Haha. If there's a will there's a way...

rustystud

TMG mentioned dot 3 was okay to use....I didn't really think twice about it...

If you go to DOT 3 fluid then you must replace all the rubber seals otherwise you get this problem with the seals. The rubber components absorb the silicone from the DOT 5 fluid. Then when you go to the Alcohol based DOT 3 fluid it reacts with the silicone in the rubber. Unless the seals are almost brand new this almost always happens. On every vehicle that I have converted to DOT 5, I also replaced all the rubber seals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks