• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp French, CA MEP003A- Who got one?

Deuce_of_Spades

So I just was awarded a MEP003A genset from Camp French. My first one. There were 13 of them for auction so I was wondering if any of our guys here got one? I got mine with 990 hours on it. I dont know but I think thats pretty low hours, yes? Most had a lot less, 2 even had less than 50. One said 4 hours. Anyways, I paid $780. Please tell me I did good. I saw the lower hour ones go for a bit more but I got what I could afford. I think I have to ship it to myself so there is another $400 probably. Anyone have a TM number? I know nothing about these little beasts but look forward to learning. I just want to bew able to run my house and well. Next is to get a trailer. I really like the one dirtyfingernails built. I wish I had that talent!

DieselBob

Looks good to me. Seems like a good price. I was so tempted to bid on one but figured it would cost as much to ship as it cost. I almost bid a mep004a at a site about 10 miles from home but after searching I couldn't find a good answer on 240 single phase conversion.

rat4spd

That seems in line with what they are going for. Hour meters don't mean a whole lot. The MEP003 is a fairly old genset. Don't be surprised if it was manufactured in the early to mid 80's.

Yours does not have the ASK enclosure on it. It will be loud, and rather loud.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck finding one, unless you can find another generator with one on it. I have 2 of theses units without the ASK's and I don't think that they are that loud. I had to use one just the other week when the power was out for about an hour. They are sitting about 50 feet from my front door, and the one I was running had the exhaust facing toward the house. With the doors and windows closed for the air conditioning, I could barely hear it inside the house. IMHO my diesel tractor running full out makes about as much noise if not more when I'm mowing.

rat4spd

Good luck finding one, unless you can find another generator with one on it. I have 2 of theses units without the ASK's and I don't think that they are that loud. I had to use one just the other week when the power was out for about an hour. They are sitting about 50 feet from my front door, and the one I was running had the exhaust facing toward the house. With the doors and windows closed for the air conditioning, I could barely hear it inside the house. IMHO my diesel tractor running full out makes about as much noise if not more when I'm mowing.

Loud is relative. Mine gets MUCH louder without the covers on it. Maybe the ASK is just that quiet? And I don't know if I'd go out of my way to get one. They are nice, and much quieter, but a PITA to work around.

Last edited:

Avn-Tech

Group,

I have most of the MEP series generator manuals in PDF. Send me an email and I will forward them to you.

I am also working on a listing of military generators and their manuals, I will post on my web site when I get it updated.

I also recently picked up a MEP-003, and MEP-004 generators from GL. I also purchased a load bank (400 HZ), and try to conert it to 60 HZ,

Laterrrrrr
Avn-Tech
fish@aviation-tech.com

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rat,
you're right, loud is relative. If I lived in town and had neighbors, I'm sure my sets would be a lot louder bouncing off of houses and such. But as it is, way out here, the deer and squirrels don't much care how much noise I make...LOL. Plus, as I said, my tractor is about as loud and since I mow every week through the summer with it I guess I'm used to the noise.

Personally, I would like to have the ASK on mine, but unless I get a neighbor who complains about the noise (not likely), I won't worry about it.

Hey, I just noticed, I got a promotion with this post!!!!

Last edited:

trog

I previewed the gensets at French Camp, and noticed several had starter motors replaced with a larger model. Spades, the set with 990 hours has that upgrade or repair.

Deuce_of_Spades

Trog,
Is this a good thing or did they mess up an already good setup?

Group,
Can I put some sort of muffler on this bad boy to quiet it down at all? I live on 15 acres and dont think my critters will complain much but if I can bring it doown to a dull roar that would be nicer.

So I take it so far no one else won one this week? I thought I bidding against all of you! Glad all my muttering under my breath when I was outbid each time were not directed towards you guys!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce_of_Spades said:
Group,
Can I put some sort of muffler on this bad boy to quiet it down at all? I live on 15 acres and dont think my critters will complain much but if I can bring it doown to a dull roar that would be nicer.
Have you fired it up yet? They have mufflers on them, they're under the shroud covering the heads where the two exhaust tubes come out. Additional mufflers probably will not help because most of the noise is just because it's a diesel and not exhaust related.

If you have 15 acres, I doubt the noise will be that much of a concern. I personally don't think that they are that noisy. I had one of mine running for about an hour a couple weeks ago when the power was out. It's located about 50 feet from the front door and does not have the sound enclosure, the mufflers were pointed toward the house and since the a/c was on, the house was buttoned up....I could barley hear the thing running. Rat4spd put it pretty good...noise is relative. Out in the country with 15 acres...noise isn't too big of a deal.

DOCUSN1

Deuce nice set I have 3 Mep003a's. I have 1 more to get going only 8 mhours on this one it was smashed though basket case. I can give you a couple of good recommendations. 1 read the manual, 2 service every thing you can, 3 dont turn any switches while it is running make any power adjustments while it is off. If you can charge up your batts. and slave cable it to get it started for the first time, they like to be turned over real fast. Have been off the site for a while been plauged with severe computer problems for over a month. Good luck Mark.

Deuce_of_Spades

Doc,
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take all the help I can get. I am totally generator elitterate.

Issac,
Are the military and the civillian ones about the same or did they screw up the military ones to get them to fit "SPECS".

Rat,
These seem like pretty popular units. Are they really that hard to find parts for? At 990 hours of military use how many things do you guess I'll need to be replacing soon? Is this something that will me nickle and dime me just because it will sit more than it gets used?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks