• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can’t manually rotate engine

Klingerson

I’m in the process of changing injection pump and injectors on M1165. I previously had the truck die after a heavy rain and went through the entire TM and consulted with my Humvee mechanic neighbor. So I’m confident the IP was bad. I pulled my injectors and some were rusty, others were heavily carboned. Also truck was converted to electric fan.

The problem:
Having trouble rotating the engine to remove the IP. I had to remove the balancer because the center is round and I can’t put a socket in there. After removing there’s the nut you see in the picture. I grabbed the breaker bar locked on to the nut and tried rotating clockwise. No budge. The darn breaker bar was bending. I’m scared I’m going to break something. Do yall have any suggestions or ideas or need more info on my problem.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shouldn’t be stuck. I spun my engine with the starter.

Maybe hydrolocked? Open all glowplugs to allow pressure to escape.

I see no reason why driving through rain would affect the IP.

I’m not understanding your logic, so I’m confused by your actions and your diagnosis.

Klingerson

I’m not understanding your logic, so I’m confused by your actions and your diagnosis.
I parked on a slight down hill and my engine valley drain was clogged. That morning after the heavy rain I didn’t start the truck but noticed water slowly dripping from next to the oil filter. The next day water was still pooled on the engine valley and she wouldn’t start.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t agree with your diagnostics. You don’t have to put the crankshaft in any specific location to replace the injection pump.

Klingerson

I don’t agree with your diagnostics. You don’t have to put the crankshaft in any specific location to replace the injection pump.
I need to rotate the engine to get the three bolts out of the IP. I heard you can bump the starter, but a lot of people don’t recommend it.

Klingerson

Ill try opening all the glow plugs

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the injectors are rusty on the inside then the engine had/has water in the cylinders and is now likely seized.
Put some marvel mystery oil in the injector holes and hope for the best after soaking for a while.
The "died after a heavy rain" seems to be key, if you got water in the engine then you should have dealt with that right away.
The only way water could affect the diesel engine is if it got into the cylinders as there is no ignition system to fail when wet and would not likely cause the IP to fail so I am somewhat curious about the diag process to determine the IP was bad after it died in a heavy rain..
Also I am assuming you are trying to turn the engine with ether the injectors or glow plugs out as it could simply be hydro locked.
And when you said it would not start did the engine turn over or was it already locked up?
I am also curious, did you replace the missing CDR valve on that truck?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water is always in the valley. Why would that affect anything?

Water dripping from the oil filter is not the same as oil IN the oil pan.