• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can 5-ton winch adapt to an M35A2?

Firehound

Is it possible to use the winch off of an M39 or M808? I've heard that it is, but the PTO is on the opposite side... has anyone done this? Got pics? How to?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible to use the winch off of an M39 or M808? I've heard that it is, but the PTO is on the opposite side... has anyone done this? Got pics? How to?
Our 10K- and 20K Garwood front winches have reversible ends, which can be flipped for left or right hand input.
Lots of work (to completely disassemble) but doable.

fasttruck

A popular solution to routing PTO drive shafts and such is to use a hydraulic pump/PTO and a hydraulic motor on the accessory, in this case a winch. However, this problem has all the hallmarks of trying to make apples out of oranges. Comparison shop a 2.5 and 5t frame: 5t rails are bigger and farther apart so a 2.5 ton winch frame extensions won't cross over. If using the shaft drive, the PTO drive shafts are different sizes and lengths. Has anyone successfully mounted a 2.5 or 5t PTO unit on the opposite transmission ? I know they both have the same SAE PTO opening, but are the gears behind it compatible ? I know from being around commercial transmissions more than 1 size gear can be furnished for the PTO drive or it can be deleted if the original buyer didn't envision using a PTO. It is amazing the way common components can be designed as to not be interoperable.

I am sure someone with a lot of steels shapes and a welder can probably make it fit with enough time and money but is it worth it ?

fasttruck

Reference post 6: if any direct support maintenance people are out there maybe they could comment if all manual transmissions used in 809 trucks or what have you include the PTO gear. The usability code changes when the vehicle does or does not have a winch, and as most production is winchless, I can envision that the Army would leave this gear out on a transmission authorized for a vehicle without a PTO.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reference post 6: if any direct support maintenance people are out there maybe they could comment if all manual transmissions used in 809 trucks or what have you include the PTO gear. The usability code changes when the vehicle does or does not have a winch, and as most production is winchless, I can envision that the Army would leave this gear out on a transmission authorized for a vehicle without a PTO.
Not a problem here since the transmission with its PTO would remain stock (M35A2). All he needs is flip sides of the winch gear-case and clutch housing and fabricate a pair of mounting brackets. Then find a 5-ton (front)winch drive shaft and eventually adjust its length.

fasttruck

Reference post 8: At one time I had a 2.5t and 5t here both with winches which made comparison shopping easy. Trucks got sold so can't walk outside and see anymore. I recall the flange plates that attach the winch drive shaft to the PTO are different sizes for 2.5t and 5t winches plus the 5t shaft is larger and heavier. The other end where it slides over the input shaft on the winch may be different too. If OP sources a transmission with a PTO already on it then the fitment problem will be solved. Just that it will be on the wrong side for a 5t winch. I would think about a hydraulic system like a 900 series or a M35a3 has as it is easier to rout hydraulic lines than to fab up shafts and reassemble winches. Also no shear pins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks