• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a Deuce be used as a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)?

bguy193

In Illinois it has to be plated as a CMV. If you use it for a business you will have to get a DOT # as well as annual DOT inspections(probably won't pass). You will also need an IFTA sticker. Once you involve a vehicle in any way of making money the Goverment wants it cut. If you get a deuce........... you should just use it as a personal vehicle. If you reqally want to know all of the ins and outs call the Illinois DOT office in Springfield Ill and ask for the officer of the day and they will be able to answer any of your questions.
Good Luck and Happy Trucking:driver:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only need IFTA if you cross state lines.

I used my XM818 for business for awhile. If everything is tight on it they can pass an inspection. You will need a DOT number, if over 10k pounds, if you haul for business. DOT numbers are not hard to get at all. It is interstate operating authority that is difficult.

Attachments

docharley

Insurance is going to kill you. I have a 150 mile from home base liability policy on my Commercial Farm Truck M35A2. Runs me right at 100 per month. That's just 150 miles mind you. Interstate is going to run you about 300 a month + if you can find some one to write you a commercial policy. Don't forget you have to have the truck interstate registered for any states you plan to travel through or be prepared to stop at the scale house and purchase a 3 day temporary registration every time you cross the state line. Also remember that each state has different requirements to pass level 1 2 and 3 inspections. Some states are also moving to "Emissions Testing". PA is one of them. Be prepared to have a muffler installed on your truck as well. You will have to maintain inspection logs "Daily" and 'Maintain meticulous fuel records." They have no problems auditing you for that. Your truck had better be in "Great Shape" or be prepared to attract quite a bit of attention from DOT officers who will want to inspect your truck more from curiosity than a true need to inspect. Just because you pass a garage inspection does not mean you will pass a field inspection. Fines can add up quicky!

abh3

There are a few commercial endeavors the Deuce is pretty good at.

I sold one a few years ago to a guy who contracted to pressure/steam clean heavy equipment at some local pits somewhere, he was tired of tearing up one ton trucks & needed the off-road capabilities our slow green friend offers.

I have an A2 with a dump bed and a stock A3, both with farm tags, that I use in timberland I manage. Not exactly freight hauling but they do a good job from town or the lime-pit back to the woods with gravel, ag chemicals, a culvert, etc. getting things right to where it's needed.

That being said, if you want to get into the light freight business there are probably much better choices unless you need to go down miles of woods roads, across a creek and through a mudhole to pick up or deliver that freight!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run three commercial tractor/trailers in my business. I can tell you it's not cheap to run a large commercial vehicle. It's also a mountain of paperwork and extra scrutiny involved.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just make sure you know what you're getting into.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks