• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a Deuce pull a Deuce?

Michael

The NAPA part number for the 24 volt bulbs is 1662. They are made in China by Federal Mogul for NAPA. They are 24v 32/6CP. The store here had to order them but they came in the next day.

sermis

What about brakes on the towed vehicle? I remember a post where you can tap into the air system around the master / air pack. Would it work to run air lines from the rear glade hands on the front truck into the rear glade hands on the rear of the towed vehicle and back flow the air for stopping?

Sarge

Okay, since nobody has mentioned it yet, here is a trick we used in the military when we towed tactical vehicles with tactical vehicles.
This trick enables you to tow using the disabled vehicles tail, stop and turn signals. All of the turn signals.
The only thing you need is one cable.
The cable from an M720, an M832 or an M1022 is perfect.
If you can’t scrounge up one of those cables, here is how to make your own cable from scrap cables.
Take two regular M-series trailer cables, all military junkyards have loads of damaged ones laying around. Wire a 4 wire extension cable the length of the towed vehicle in between your scrap ends. The 4 wire is available on a reel (by the foot) from Home Depot, Lowe’s etc.
Attach ground to ground, left stop/brake to left stop/brake, right stop/brake to right stop/brake and tail to tail. Do not try to save money by using a 3 wire cable and skipping the ground. Bad move.
Clear as mud?
Plug one end of the cable in to the towing vehicle trailer outlet, plug the other end in to the towed vehicle trailer outlet.
One more important step: disconnect the plug from the turn signal head unit (on the steering column), otherwise it will mess up everything.
Now you can tootle down the road with taillights, brake lights and all turn signals, even the front ones on the towed vehicle.
Pretty nifty eh?
Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks?
-Sarge

bugei

sarge, are you talking about a long a$$ed cable running the entire length of the towee? or is them a connector in the front somewhere? great solution either way, just curious.

thanx

BEASTMASTER

yeh i got a box of them 1662's made in china and the filaments are backwards. had to cut off one of the studs and put the bulb in backwards . but it works.

Michael

Yep, both bright filaments come on when you power the tail light circuit and when you power either the left or right brake light, the dim filament comes on. I have a home made clamp on set that has a separate tail light wire going to each side. I will either re wire it or cut off one of the studs like beastmaster did. The only problem I see with Sarge's method is that you never know if the lights are going to work on trucks from GL. My first M35 came from DRMO with no working light bulbs. Most of the bulbs were missing and the few that remained were burned out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
sermis said:
What about brakes on the towed vehicle? I remember a post where you can tap into the air system around the master / air pack. Would it work to run air lines from the rear glade hands on the front truck into the rear glade hands on the rear of the towed vehicle and back flow the air for stopping?
Steve, this will not work as there is check valves in the lines. If you were to get under the truck and look at the airpak/mastercyl combo, you will see where the air goes in the back. Just take that out and run air from the gladhand in. Brakes should work. I say this because if the towed truck is un-known there could be all kinds of problems with its brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks