• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can an M923 pull this?

MoJo1971

(First time posting) Hey Guys! I'm completely new to this site and see that there are a lot of experts here. I have a very unique interactive baseball trailer and thought it would be pretty cool to pull it around the country with a Military Vehicle. We are associated with the Military All-Stars and I think it would really look good. I am looking at purchasing an M923, but would love some suggestions and whether the M923 can pull this trailer. The vehicle I get needs to be able to withstand a vigorous 6 month tour around the country.

Trailer Information: 40ft. long, 15k pounds with nothing in it.

I currently tow it with my 2011 Dodge 3500 with a pintle hitch.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joe Lewis

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The M923's tow rating is 15k pounds according to the manual. That may be pretty conservative for on-road use, though. You would need to build a receiver hitch for the truck, since it has a rotating pintle hitch mounted much higher than your Dodge's receiver. If the trailer has electric brakes, then you would need to find a way to control them from the M923. The M923 has a 24V electrical system. If the trailer doesn't have electric brakes, then you could just swap out the bulbs in its lights with 24V ones. If it has electric brakes, then things might get more complicated.

M1075

The M923 can pull it sideways! The bigger question is can you handle driving a M923 for a rigorous 6 month tour? No creature comforts here. No passenger or cell phone conversations. Twice the fuel? For a novelty I think it would be fine for local, close to home events. Long distance or repetitive driving, no thanks! Check out a M915 series instead.

MoJo1971

Wow! You guys are fast. Great feedback already. Thanks for the advice. I have never driven a Military Vehicle and that's why I wanted to get some information from the experts. I will check out the M915 series. I have also seen that some people have put Camper style RV's on the back. Any suggestion on what vehicle would be able to tow this trailer and I could possibly build Camper on back of truck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M915 is a road tractor and would be more suited for towing duties. It still lacks creature comforts. Being a tractor I'm sure you could remove that stuff and add a dromedary or even a deuce bed with an S280 shelter converted for camping. Could be interesting. If you have deep pockets you may want to check out the M916A2 and add the dromedary to that. Some of these have A/C.

Attachments

zout

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joe Lewis

Don;t waste any more money.
I am the BEST pitcher at 60 yrs old ya can find. I am the best instintive thrower of stone - sticks etc you can find. I am the best "sound shooter" (means hunt at night and kill by sound only) around.

If ya just buy me a hambuger today - for a pitch tomorrow I will help ya out and save ya tons of money.rofl

Zout will throw balls for food

Nonotagain

I don't think I'd want to tow that trailer using the Dodge dually. As low as the pintle sits, it appears that the trailer would dig into the pavement if you blew a tire on the Dodge.

At leasst the M923 or the M915/916 have 12-24K in additional weight over the Dodge which will mean a lot in an emergency situation.

I take it that you have a CDL, but I don't see any IFTA or DOT numbers on the truck. With the military truck, you'll be a lot larger target for law enforcement and DOT compliance.

I'd look for a couple year old Ford or International crew cab truck (Ford 550-650 or International 4600/4700) with the creature comforts of AC and cab insulation. Parts would be a lot easier to locate if/when needed.

Sephirothq

the 12 volt trailer package is not hard to deal with if you know just a little about electrical devices.

First you will need a 24 volt to 12 volt convertor. Probably in the range of 30 amps rms. (full time load not peak load). second you will need a brake controller, lots of #12 wire, 4ea 24 volt relays, at least 2 fuse holders and 25 amps fuses.

If you would like me to expand on this I will if interested.

eldgenb

an m915 has 12v and 24v trailer leads you will simply have to extend it to the rear, a 915 would be a better option than the 923. If you are looking for a 923 anyways look for an A2 model with the 8.3 cummins, much better choice overall. Both trucks come with a pintle, the 915 may be low enough to work stock the 923 you will have to build a hitch to run a pintle lower for that trailer. Personally I think both are overkill I would just buy a nice decal wrap for the dodge and save yourself the pain and discomfort of touring in a military vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks