• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can anyone back up a M101?

WSTEPHENS

Has any one figured out how to back up one of these trailers?
I took a load to the transfer station after cleaning out the barn and I could not back it into the building even with help. Once it started to turn the way I wanted it would just jack knife even when I tried to straighten it out with the truck.

We just gave up and now I pull into the commercial doors and turn 90 degrees out the door I tried to back into then unload.

DeadParrot

Not that hard, just have to go slow. The 101 and even more so the 1101 are a bit twitchy. You almost have to undo the turn before you see the trailer start to turn. Get a couple of cones or lightly set a couple of t-posts and practice in an open field. That way, you have no worries about damaging anything.

Dead pilot

Just take it slow with small movements and follow it through. They really aren't that bad once ya are used to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Practice Practice Practice
Very easy when you finally get the hang of it.

Remember, backing a loaded M101A2/3 up an incline will probably activate the surge brakes.
You will need to lockout the brakes beforehand.

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try finding an M416 or M100 to practice on. From then on all trailers including the M101 will be easy to back.

Barrman

No joke on the M416 practice part. By the time you see them in the mirror, you are almost at jack knife stage.

As suggested above. Practice and use small movements.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backing up a short trailer is much harder than a longer trailer. If you can't see the trailer in the rear view or side mirrors when it is straight, tape a dowel rod vertically to the center of the trailer tailgate and watch it through the back window as you back up. If you can't use the back window, tape dowel rods horizontally to the back corners of the trailer so you can watch the ends in your side mirrors. Attach a tennis ball or flagging to the ends so you can see the dowels easier.

Go slow, then slow down more, minimal steering movements, and as said above, practice practice practice. It's a lot easier for me now than it was 20 years ago.:lol:

WSTEPHENS

I have Ram Towing mirrors and two cameras one high for 5th wheel and goose neck and one in the tail gate to chose from with the new truck and I can even keep them on when pulling forward I can see the trailer in the mirrors and with either camera.

It has sat for a few years and did not use it much and took a few years to get a replacement title so we could registered it and put a plate on it. In the mean time I was towing a 40' 5th wheel so go use to its reaction.

I had a trailer made out of a Toyota pick bed that was very hard to back up and by the time I could see it it was to late because it was narrower then my truck.

I live in the middle of Wyoming and I think the closets Military Surplus is in Idaho Falls.

WSTEPHENS

Not that hard, just have to go slow. The 101 and even more so the 1101 are a bit twitchy. You almost have to undo the turn before you see the trailer start to turn. Get a couple of cones or lightly set a couple of t-posts and practice in an open field. That way, you have no worries about damaging anything.
I live on 17 acres as long as I don't hit the house, barn or propane tanks I have plenty of room. I also park it where I can pull in and have room to pull out and turn toward the barn and out. I can get a 40' 5th wheel and in and out.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two possibilities that you're having problems with it;

1. You suck. I know it hurts, but none of us are born with the ability to back a trailer. It comes easier to some, and as mentioned you will get better, but it can be a long road getting there. I went from suck to mediocre at backing my short M1101 but it's taken a long time. Read, watch videos, it'll come trust me.

2. Something is wrong with the trailer, like maybe one of the brakes is grabbing or dragging.

You didn't give enough information for us to tell, so we're all just guessing. ;-)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a matter of practice. Those long gooseneck trailers with a short pickup truck spoil you. You start to think that you're really good at backing....

I recently had the experience of a similarly short trailer and a 5ton with cargo cover on. It definitely took some adjustment getting used to. CHEAT! Get out and look every couple of feet. Only results count. Nothing like pulling into a cramped hotel parking lot with no way to pull forward to force the issue....

20180518_154958.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pride myself in my backing abilities.
Do it almost every day with either a M101A2 or a ‘14 BigTex utility / ‘20 BigTex Equipment Trailer.
To me, those are easy.
Except for occasional days when I can’t back anything up to save my life.

The only trailer I could NEVER backup was the M989A1 HEMAT trailer.
Talk about humbling.....
I finally accepted defeat and planned all moves with zero chance of having to back it up.
Was very happy the day I sold that thing.

WSTEPHENS

There are two possibilities that you're having problems with it;

1. You suck. I know it hurts, but none of us are born with the ability to back a trailer. It comes easier to some, and as mentioned you will get better, but it can be a long road getting there. I went from suck to mediocre at backing my short M1101 but it's taken a long time. Read, watch videos, it'll come trust me.

2. Something is wrong with the trailer, like maybe one of the brakes is grabbing or dragging.

You didn't give enough information for us to tell, so we're all just guessing. ;-)
it is number 1 I do suck at backing up trailers but this one is the worse. The brakes and bearings are fine and I have backed it up with a dually that seems to have a bigger turning radius this the new truck does and was able to eventually get it backed up where I wanted it. As long as I am pulling it goes where I point the truck.

quickfarms

Are you spinning the steering wheel around or are you just jiving it a quarter to half turn from straight?

Remember this trailer will respond many times faster than your fifth wheel.

Can you see the trailer in your mirrors? Backing using the mirrors is harder because everything is reversed.

Can you see the trailer through the back window? This can help is the trailer is narrower than the truck or just to learn how fast the trailer moves around.

It does take some practice and is easier to learn on flat level ground.

If you can't get it you can always put a hitch on the front of the truck.

The vehicles are only tools. The driver has the skill to make the vehicle do what is required.

If you want to see some fancy backing up. Watch a yard mule spot trailers. I have seen some drivers put trailers in, or pull them out, of areas that I have not figured out how they do it and I have a CDL

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
If you really want practice, try backing a 4 wheeled hay wagon. After you accomplish that, the M101, and M1101 trailers are easy. :)

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
If you really want practice, try backing a 4 wheeled hay wagon. After you accomplish that, the M101, and M1101 trailers are easy. :)
Or a triple vehicle land train. I actually backed up an M101 hooked to a M1031 hooked to a M934 one time.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?148952-2016-TX-MV-Rally/page10 - post #92

I also once backed up a M149 semi-trailer hooked on a tow dolly that was attached to a M923. I had to back it up about 50 feet, which took a long while to get it in the right position, and I didn't shoot any of the vehicles.

Backing any tow combination with 2 pivot points will really challenge your patience.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you spinning the steering wheel around or are you just jiving it a quarter to half turn from straight?

Remember this trailer will respond many times faster than your fifth wheel.

Can you see the trailer in your mirrors? Backing using the mirrors is harder because everything is reversed.

Can you see the trailer through the back window? This can help is the trailer is narrower than the truck or just to learn how fast the trailer moves around.

It does take some practice and is easier to learn on flat level ground.

If you can't get it you can always put a hitch on the front of the truck.

The vehicles are only tools. The driver has the skill to make the vehicle do what is required.

If you want to see some fancy backing up. Watch a yard mule spot trailers. I have seen some drivers put trailers in, or pull them out, of areas that I have not figured out how they do it and I have a CDL

https://youtu.be/eqwV8U05oZk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks