• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can anyone tell me the good the bad.. and or anything els about this truck?

The good: 1) heater 2) turbo 3) no winch- unless you need one 4) air shift 5) cold start system
The rust is hard to see in the pictures, but it is somewhat normal in areas that use salt. The rest of the truck looks like a normal Deuce, these trucks are 40 years old.

Numbers

The cargo bed appears rusted through on the side supports (not all of them but a few of them. Ask Jakob (from Louisville) about this. He has seen this rust before. He needed a new bed for his deuce at one time or another. The axles look like they have seen hell and numerous bad lube jobs and/or leaks. I'd be leary only for the reason that it looks like the person who is selling didn't even try to do any PM's before selling or if they did it was a poor job. Vehicle may have been a winch truck at one time or another. A check of the data plates which are not visible in the photos will tell better but are easily hidden by replacing/unscrewing another set from another truck. I believe the tip off was the winch plate which is visible in one of the photos. Personally I'd get a good mechanic to go with you if you are unsure of what to look at. They are going to give you an unbiased opinion and will only charge a nominal fee to do this if they are available for you or better yet get a SS member to help you that is in the area. Remember its cheaper to bail now than it is after purchase and photos don't always tell the whole story.

I agree with DrGreg in all aspects because 40 years and salt does play hell on a lot of things. Use caution and get a mechanic to look it over.

Lastly, remember the resources section of this web site contain all of the manuals you could ever want and then some.

2Deuces wild

Not all things are a great deal. Have someone who knows this truck look at it. Its OK to pass on it if its in poor shape, another one will come along. It took a year for my hubby to find the right one for me even then we had to make many repairs for it to be road worthy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jakob

The bottoms of the stake pockets are BAD for collecting rust. I have one that's almost completely gone. Several others are in bad shape. The PO just knocked off the surface rust and painted over them. He ever took time to bonbo over the rust pits to make it smooth. I went over every one of my stakes with a pick hammer, I'm not amused with the results.

roscoe

Don't be in a hurry to get one. Find out what features you want and the cost and time to change the things you don't want. There are plenty of trucks to choose from. Lots of info can be found right here. Thats what I did anyway and got 3 good trucks.

6x6guy

The bracket underneath the front axle is definitely not a under carriage support bracket for a snow plow- any snow plow mounted to it would rip away all that support bracket if you hit something with it. The mount holes would be at the widest point for a plow hook up. :roll:

Last edited: