• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can "clearance lights" be used as turn signals/flashers?

jw4x4

Maybe consider that the marker lights are only a single filament bulb, as opposed to a brake light or turn signal bulb which is dual filament. Whatever you do, just try not to let the smoke out of the wiring.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ran out of light. Will try and shoot tomorrow.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I mounted a amber clearance light on the left and right front running light guards, and taped into the turn signal wire and mounted red clearance lights on the side of my rear composites, wired into the rear brake/turn wire. works fine, day or night, drivers on the side know what my intentions are before they see a 5t wrecker in there windshield.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You could use a bosch style 24v relay the running lights coud be left as they are unplug the power from the light go into the relay common contact run the normally closed side to the light so when the relay is not activated the light is on like it normally would be. Ground one side of the relay coil and run the other side of the coil to the respective sides blinker power. When the blinker flashes on the running lights will flash off and back on when the blinker flashes off kinda like a wig-wag its a pretty cool effect.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could use a bosch style 24v relay the running lights coud be left as they are unplug the power from the light go into the relay common contact run the normally closed side to the light so when the relay is not activated the light is on like it normally would be. Ground one side of the relay coil and run the other side of the coil to the respective sides blinker power. When the blinker flashes on the running lights will flash off and back on when the blinker flashes off kinda like a wig-wag its a pretty cool effect.

Yeah - I'm with JimmyT on that one...... Gonna need a diagram!

Is it me or has nobody yet explained the red 'stop/turn' thing yet? Don't want the clearance lights coming on with the stop light.

turn - marker lights.jpg

This diag has many flaws as I haven't seen the wiring diag yet ( TM BULLET! ) [you know - like the Batman "SOCK" or "POW", "BIFF"] but it's a start for others to throw in their 10c.
Please cut n paste as necessary......

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I'm not sure if the brake light activation circuit goes thru the blinker switch itself. You would have to see if there was a second circuit for blinkers and the wires just come together somewhere if so you would have to add diodes inline to separate the blinker circuit from the brakes and tap off before the diodes to activate the relays so the running lights would not flash off with braking.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if the brake light activation circuit goes thru the blinker switch itself. You would have to see if there was a second circuit for blinkers and the wires just come together somewhere if so you would have to add diodes inline to separate the blinker circuit from the brakes and tap off before the diodes to activate the relays so the running lights would not flash off with braking.
It is just a whole lot simpler to tap into the front blinkers , instead of adding a bunch of diodes to go bad down the road.

JimmyThompson

So, if I only wanted a turn signal light (1-wire amber clearance light), all I need to do it get some quick disconnect fittings and tap into the current turn signal wire? And the light's housing grounds the unit to the truck?

Sorry, it got a bit confusing when talks of diodes, relays, and flux-capacitors arose.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get back to the OP... Question I see is that due to seperate circuit for stop/turn on rear, running a tap from the front turn to the rear bed each side, will be a lot of work - unless you want amber turn signals at the back and maybe for a trailer and I for one think it's a little redundant - on the bed sides that is ... For the following reasons:

Once a car has passed the point that the rear turn signal is nolonger visible, ie., along the side of the rear body, the drivers eyes will probably be focussed on the gap ahead and to the front of the truck, not noticing a periphery light on the body side (probably blocked by the nagging Mrs anyway) - therefore a lollypop or added turn lamp will have greatest value and easiest to wire, towards the front even adjacent to the front turn lamp but pointing back or out.

turn - marker lights.jpg
I did find the wiring diag (for my truck - M806 series) and ID'd the wire numbers.
Hope that this simple sketch shows options for all the additional lamps that have been discussed in the thread sofar - excepting the diod/relay/double use of existing side markers theory... which is still 'smoke and mirrors' to me.

No Jiggawatts here.

NB. I plan on doing this mod for rear amber turn signals and trailer board also indicator repeaters on the cab sides. Reqd mil mod for my project.

Last edited:

JimmyThompson

I'm not looking to do anything but add amber clearance lights to the side of the truck. I'm looking to place them similar to the guy from post-#16 and I am interested in it being a turn indicator. One on each side at the front and possibly one at the front corner of my M109's box, on each side. Running wire from the front existing light under the cab to the newly installed signal flasher on the front of the box at the bottom on each side seems easily done. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting time/money/thought if it won't work by simply "tapping into" via a "Y" connector to the existing wire for the front turn signal light.

I swear I'm not trying to be difficult and I greatly appreciate everyone's help, photos, and guidance.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can tap into the front blinkers and it will flash with the front blinker no other mods needed it just wont be on with the running light circuit only when the blinker is flashing