• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can fuel adjustment help this situation?

sdasdona

My 6.2 runs smoothly but hit the peddle and lots of black smoke - truck is sluggish and accelerates at a snail pace. I have put on a new air filter with some help but not enough. I have advanced the timeing with little effect. I was wondering if I turned down the fuel in the IP if this would solve the situation? I live at high altitude and do not have a turbo. Any help would be appreciated. This can't be normal.

baddy3

Had the similar situation, wife run the truck on poorly filtered WMO while I was on deployment, when I returned home the truck could hardly move . Turned the pump 1/6 and added a quart of old atf to a couple of gallons of diesel to clean the injectors… the improvement is amazing, pulls like a train now…

chevyCUCV

I think high altitude is the problem.
Yes less fuel should mean less smoke, but do you exclusively drive in high alt?
I would go turbo to help restore performance, but thats costly

Could start cheaply by opening up your air intake some. More air could compensate for the lesser amount of oxygen

I add 2 ounces w/ every tank. As said ATF also works. It cleans the system. The first couple times it can plug your filter as it loosens crud in the tank and lines. It will also clean the injectors and just as importantly, lubricate your injector pump. Newer diesel does not keep our older pumps lubed.

sdasdona

great information! The one thing I wanted to know when you had your problem is did you turn the fuel up or down and then after the ATF did you return it to the original? What i am getting from all this is that the injectors or lines may be clogged and by cleaning them out with ATF the atomizing process goes back to normal and walllah power back and no black smoke? Am I right?

baddy3

Well, my pump had already been on it’s way out (debris and muck in the return valve). I didn’t want to advance it any further, instead I decided to turn it up, as discussed before on this forum(allegedly that way you compensate for the age of the pump). If the pump is in good condition, I wouldn’t turn it up more than 1/8 and add ATF…. I turned mine for 1/6, anything over that is for engines with a turbo(again, that’s the info from the guys on this forum)…so if you turn it for only 1/8, than no need to turn it back to initial set up….or maybe someone more knowledgeable could fill us in…..

sdasdona

Thanks, i will experiment with this. the truck only has 75K on it and a pump should not be bad at this point. I to am experimenting with alternative fuels the quest goes on.

baddy3

My truck has only 42K, but don't forget it's 27 years old and pump internal rubbery parts tend to harden and crack with age, and may collapse, which will eventually ruin the pump, even on low mileage trucks...yes, i know, not comforting words...