• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I build side boards and ribs for an m101a1 trailer?

gungrinder

I finally joined the ranks and picked up a real nice m101a1 trailer but it doesn't have the side boards or ribs for the top. I know from research I can get a new cover from GMACOVER.com but I need to build some side boards and ribs. Does anyone have any info on how to construct the side boards or bows from scratch? They don't need to be "correct" just sturdy and functional. I need whatever I build to fit the original cover and function pretty much as original. Thanks for the help!

RealCavDog

Woodland Park ? Isn't that where the Thunderhead still stands ? Have friends that own it, even as it is empty ! If you see a 1957 Shasta travel trailer, red and white, around town soon, I built that for her to pull behind her 1991 faded red full size Bronco !

Anyway, I have several new sets of the fiberglass side, front and rear gate sets and will get some dimensions and photos for you to compare and build from.

Also have a new set of the adjustable metal top bows, which can be replicated in wood, so will do the same on those.

Will be a day or so, as am still involved in the clean-up and using one of my M101A2 trailers to haul and distribute bottled water here in Joplin.

OH ! And welcome to the addiction from the Missouri Ozarks ( Joplin ) !

Last edited:

3dAngus

Side rails and bows seem to be easier to buy than the cover for the M101 series.

Didn't see anything about covers or any parts on that website.

Last edited:

number9

Woodland Park ? Isn't that where the Thunderhead still stands ? Have friends that own it, even as it is empty ! If you see a 1957 Shasta travel trailer, red and white, around town soon, I built that for her to pull behind her 1991 faded red full size Bronco !

Anyway, I have several new sets of the fiberglass side, front and rear gate sets and will get some dimensions and photos for you to compare and build from.

Also have a new set of the adjustable metal top bows, which can be replicated in wood, so will do the same on those.

Will be a day or so, as am still involved in the clean-up and using one of my M101A2 trailers to haul and distribute bottled water here in Joplin.

OH ! And welcome to the addiction from the Missouri Ozarks ( Joplin ) !
Can you post those pics for all to see? I'd like to see the pics of the adjustable top bows. Thanks!

RealCavDog

Quick set of photos, then back to hauling supplies ! In a few of the shots you can see half or less of load # 19 of water, juice, bottled tea and now vitamin water. Over 5 tanks of gas, a week of lost work due to this, but what else could a guy be doing !

Will post better details when this slows down, but I threw a bow in the rear for reference, but not totally seated on the drivers side, as you can see.

The same bows are on my M105A2, only set wider and taller.

20 photos will take 2 posts, so bear with and catch you guys later !

Attachments

Last edited:

RealCavDog

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sides, bows, and tarp, for the 101's are really nice. Unless you have a lot of disposable time and money (especially time), you can buy another trailer that is complete, for not much more, rather then trying to re-invent the wheel. Otherwise just look for a set of rails from somebody that has an extra set. But if you elect to get another trailer, get a M101A2. it will have surge brakes & 16" tires.

number9

Something to note that I found out this weekend. The fiberglass boards on the M105 series trrailers are wider than those on the M101 series. One side of my M101A3 is wood and the rest is fiberglass. I was going to swap the boards from a spare M105 side I have but they are larger. It would have worked and looked fine to the un-knowing, but I want it to be "right" so guess I'll keep my eye out for someone selling a side for the M101.

indy4x4fab

Banned
i've been thinking of doing something very simaler to this project only building one of these for my m1028 bed. kinda a soft top camper shell that can fold up and or be removed all to gather.

Last edited:
The sides, bows, and tarp, for the 101's are really nice. Unless you have a lot of disposable time and money (especially time), you can buy another trailer that is complete, for not much more, rather then trying to re-invent the wheel. Otherwise just look for a set of rails from somebody that has an extra set. But if you elect to get another trailer, get a M101A2. it will have surge brakes & 16" tires.

I bought an A2 for the fiberglass sides to put on my A3 and sold the A2 for a nice profit.

number9

Can someone explain to me how moving the half brackets on the bows down to the position shown in this picture will make the bow taller? It looks like the bow will still slide down into the pocket and bottom out on the notch as indicated by the arrow?

Attachments