• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I burn NEW petroleum oil (motor oil, hydraulic etc) in a truck diesel?

ichudov

I make a living by buying surplus stuff at auctions. As such, I have access to brand new -- never used -- oil, such as new hydraulic oil, motor oil, way oil, etc. Usually that stuff sits in barrels and unopened buckets and no one wants it.

While, ordinarily, it costs a lot more than diesel fuel, here it costs nothing and normally, it cannot practically be resold. But I feel bad looking at that good stuff.

What I did think though, it is that perhaps I can somehow dilute it with something and be able to burn it in my semi truck or my 5 ton in a regular truck diesel engine. That oil is new and not contaminated like used motor oil.

Because new oil was never used, it is not considered hazardous waste, I do not need to be a registered used oil transporter, etc. Some hazmat rules do apply, but generally that stuff is very benign in the eyes of law.

If I can somehow find a way to burn it in a diesel engine, I will be way ahead and may very well supply my fuel needs from just new oil that I find at closed down plants. Any thoughts?

Chief_919

This will apply more to pre-computer diesels- modern computer controlled diesels with commission controls are a lot less tolerant.

Most hydraulic oils will burn right away, no thinning, in warm weather. In your area in winter it will take some thinning.

Motor oil, you can blend.

Everything else, it will take experimentation.

eagle4g63

Not sure about running it in your trucks, but if it turns out you can not, I would be interested in making some deals with you for it. I am in the process of setting up a bio fuel processor and maybe we can trade(as I have access to the veggie oil for the bio). Might be able to still get you fuel for yours...

ichudov

Not sure about running it in your trucks, but if it turns out you can not, I would be interested in making some deals with you for it. I am in the process of setting up a bio fuel processor and maybe we can trade(as I have access to the veggie oil for the bio). Might be able to still get you fuel for yours...
While I am sympathetic to your situation and would be interested, I prefer not to be "dealing" in that stuff for legal reasons. If I can use a couple of buckets, I would, but I prefer to avoid any trading of any kind in any sort of oils, used or new.

dburt

You could add it to your diesel fuel in a ratio of 20 parts diesel to 1 part oil and see how she fares. In a pinch you could likely go 10:1 and still be ok, but power may suffer and there will be gelling issues in cold weather unless you pour lots of anti-gelling additive in also, but then there goes the money saving aspect of the whole idea. Unless of course you just burn the oil in warmer weather, say 40 degrees and over.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a multi-fuel engine, you could probably go 50-50 with diesel w/o suffering much loss of power. There is a lot more information in the 'Alternative Fuels' forum if you search.

I run used hydraulic fluid in my skid steer, it runs fantastic even on a heavy mix (probably 80% hydraulic) I used to have a good supply of NEW motor oil that I got for free, I would pour a few gallons at a time in my 7.3l ford with no issues.

I would have no hesitation to run either in a diesel truck, but would probably only run a light mix of motor oil.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some data to think about...

A gallon of Diesel, about 140,000 BTU.

A gallon of motor oil, about 160,000 BTU.

A dollar bill burned offers about 14.5 BTU.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 2 cycle oil in the M814 to lube the IP and injectors. I mix it as heavy as 40:1, with no ill effects. I would try 50:1, and every so often just run a pure batch of diesel to clean up any deposits on the valves. The 2 cycle is ashless, so it won't build up as fast as a regular oil will.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks