• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I find if the mileage is even close to correct

odontia32m

I am to look at a CUCV Saturday with 3200 miles. I understand it is 24 years old but it does not appear to be in this class. I think it has rolled over but the title matches which it could easily do. It could have rolled prior to military sale.

Can anyone search the vehicle history or is there a service to pay for?

Thanks,

Bob

nhdiesel

Chances are it never "rolled over" while the military had it, they retire most vehicles long before that. If they were used, they got abused and it would show; if it wasn't used much, it wouldn't have rolled over. So either it did after it got into civilian hands, or it actually has low miles, or, most likely, the gauges have been replaced. I believe the military used their own VIN coding so a Carfax report wouldn't show anything. You might be able to look up info in the state it was last registered in.

Jim

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a M1031 with 3000 miles. Under the hood, everthing is shiny. The upholstery shows zero wear. You will be able to tell in an instant. The military is not exactly gentle with trucks, and over 100,000 miles would look very well worn in every respect.

nhdiesel

I meant for any info after it got into civvy hands, but even then I don't think it would even recognize the non-standardized VIN.

Jim

odontia32m

I just bought a M1031 with 3000 miles. Under the hood, everthing is shiny. The upholstery shows zero wear. You will be able to tell in an instant. The military is not exactly gentle with trucks, and over 100,000 miles would look very well worn in every respect.
Under hood looks rusted, missing small stuff, injector leak, valve cover leak and battery clamps are missing.
Under hood stickers are nearly off and breather looks very worn etc.
Interior missing rubber floor and bare metal
Interior is missing plastic trim off of seat sides

Something does not smell correct. The seller seems like a very honest man and volunteered the VIN and wanted me to get his other checked.

papercu

Never understool why anybody would care about the mileage on a twenty some year old truck.
Even if it really had low miles, that could only mean that it wasn't driven much, which is bad for the engine or it left idling for long times(like airfield use or MP duty) which is even worse.
Give me a truck WITH some miles on it.
BTW the VIN is a standard 17 digit and you can google it. For the M1008 you will get:
Year/Make/Model: 19xx CHEVROLET D30 MILITARY POSTAL UNIT
Body Style: PICKUP
Engine Type: 6.2L V8 FI OHV
Wayne

Last edited:

nhdiesel

It sounds like the "wear and tear" points show a lot more wear than the mileage shows. I'd ignore the mileage and go by whether the rest of the truck is worth the asking price.

Jim

odontia32m

Never understool why anybody would care about the mileage on a twenty some year old truck.
Even if it really had low miles, that could only mean that it wasn't driven much, which is bad for the engine or it left idling for long times(like airfield use or MP duty) which is even worse.
Give me a truck WITH some miles on it. Wayne
Thanks for your valuable input.

odontia32m

It sounds like the "wear and tear" points show a lot more wear than the mileage shows. I'd ignore the mileage and go by whether the rest of the truck is worth the asking price.

Jim
Thanks! I wanted to know the history and it would be more valuable to me if it really had low miles. I was US Army for 8 years and tore things up a trained ape could not.

Only surface rust on floor under hood and vent mirrors. One rocker had to have been replaced , the other OK and the truck was once red apparently. He is the 2nd owner since DRMO auction. Oh and new tires.

Needs leaks fixed, painted in and out, small crap under hood, new dash, all fluids changed.

What would this be worth high and low money?

pinbill

Is it the one in just north of Denver on CL? If it is I haven't looked at it but it has been for sale for a month at a decent price. Either way make sure you check for Blow-By by taking the oil filler cap off when the engine is running at full operating temp.

odontia32m

Is it the one in just north of Denver on CL? If it is I haven't looked at it but it has been for sale for a month at a decent price. Either way make sure you check for Blow-By by taking the oil filler cap off when the engine is running at full operating temp.

No Sir. It was never listed for sale I just stumbled on it. PM me your Email and I will send a couple of pics and let you tell me your impression.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Putting a value on any MV is subjective......ask ten people and you will prob get ten different answers.

What is is worth to you and what is a comparable civy vehicle going for??

A CUCV is a Blazer that used to work for Uncle Sam.

These vehicles are prone to electrical probs and the rear window roller system was designed by an idiot after consulting with a group of morons.

Check those two issues before you consider plopping down cash.

I drove and maintained them in the Army.....didn't like them then....don't like them now.

Your milage may vary.

odontia32m

Give me a truck WITH some miles on it.
BTW the VIN is a standard 17 digit and you can google it. For the M1008 you will get:
Year/Make/Model: 19xx CHEVROLET D30 MILITARY POSTAL UNIT
Body Style: PICKUP
Engine Type: 6.2L V8 FI OHV
Wayne
Thanks I read that in the excellent FAQ here on SS. I just want to find the actual mileage when with the military. I agree with your statement but if the odometer is incorrect I can not pay what he wants. From the pics I am probably correct.

Let me say again this is an honest guy and he encouraged me to research it. I PMd Carmac but no word from him yet.

Barrman

To asnwer your original question. You probably can not find mileage on the odometer that is true. Sure, it might be close, but you really don't know. I picked up a 1009 from Warthog a week ago that has over 76,000 on the meter. Warthog did a Carnac report and the truck was said to have been last used in 2005 with 75,000 on the meter.

That made me think the thing had been driven a bunch. However, the pedals and seats don't show near that many wear miles. Then I started driving the truck. 85 mph indicated is 65 gps actual. How long has the mileage been counting 25% more miles than it actually covered? The only thing I can say with any basis of fact is this. My truck probably doesn't have more than 76,000 miles on it.

At least with the CUCV series, both Dodge and Chevy. The speedometer is hard to change out. All other MV's the speedo can be swapped in about 3 minutes. All that means is the CUCV mileage will probably be more close to reality than the other trucks.

As suggested in previous post. Look at the truck and not the gauges. If it looks good, get it.