• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I mount soft doors on my slant back?

signsup

Jus short term. Purchased M998 with four man soft top and soft doors. Then I purchased a Gov Planet slant back non runner just for the slant back and windshield so I can transfer it to my M998 for appearance. But hard doors are not in the budget and every Humvee I see on Gov Planet has the hard X doors removed, presume it is a ballistic thing, like the glass in the windshields. Anyway, since my slant back has not arrived yet while I'm waiting for approval of my EUC, I've been offered something for my top, curtain and doors, but don't want to loose the doors if they will at least keep the rain out on the slant back conversion until I can afford doors.
Will my soft doors open and close on a slant back top, windshield and sponsons?

Thanks in advance.

signsup

Great. I've got the soft doorr strikers and the soft doors on my M998 right now, so the strikers should be left alone and will suffice. I have read that when I go hard doors, it's strikers, hinges, latches, hardware, etc. So, again, budget breaker.

royg

Yes. The strikers are different from hard doors to soft doors, but you shouldn't have any issues besides that.
Allot of the recent slantbacks sold are of the latter armored variety. The roofs and sponsons do differ vs. the earlier rigs. (Earlier top is steel and rounded. Latter top is aluminum and angular) Are not the armored doors essentially straight vertical pieces while a soft door on an M998 bends inward at the top?

Not to say you couldn't straighten the frame of a soft door and not to say keeping your soft doors isn't better then no doors. But I think you can expect fitment issues beyond the different strikers.

Autonomy_Lost

Allot of the recent slantbacks sold are of the latter armored variety. The roofs and sponsons do differ vs. the earlier rigs. (Earlier top is steel and rounded. Latter top is aluminum and angular) Are not the armored doors essentially straight vertical pieces while a soft door on an M998 bends inward at the top?

Not to say you couldn't straighten the frame of a soft door and not to say keeping your soft doors isn't better then no doors. But I think you can expect fitment issues beyond the different strikers.
The newer ones (ECV's and REV's, such as my m1151) will accept standard soft doors as well as standard x doors. This is because all of the armor has been removed. If the armor was still installed they would need straight x doors (and soft doors would not work).

Edit: There is one caveat. The general consensus (including my experience) is that the newer style aluminum roofs do not seal with x-doors quite as well as the older steel roofs. It WORKS, but the fitment is a little more finicky.

Last edited:

Foxclub83

Are there fitment issues with hard aluminum top and soft doors. I see lots of lots with hard too and doors and soft too and doors but no soft doors with hard top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. If there is another post you can guide me too that deals with fitment of soft doors with hard top I would appreciate that. Otherwise I think I will start a new thread on the subject.
You can start a new post, but I think your question was answered in the second post on this thread, yes you can use soft doors with a hard top,