• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I put my transfer case in 4L without...

ragedracer

locking the front hubs? Sometimes on offroad hill climbs, I need a little more gear, but don't need 4WD. Can I move the TC to 4L without climbing out and locking the hubs? Will it break anything, or is it OK to do that?

DieselBob

locking the front hubs? Sometimes on offroad hill climbs, I need a little more gear, but don't need 4WD. Can I move the TC to 4L without climbing out and locking the hubs? Will it break anything, or is it OK to do that?
Yes you can. You might want to go just a little easier on the throttle sense you would have double the torque going to just the rear axle. I do this in my pickup when parking my travel trailer.

jimmy-90

It's ok to do that to climb a hill. The added torque will snap a Ujoint if you are too hard on it though. Don't try to do things like put it in low to try to pull a stump and it will be fine.

ragedracer

Thanks guys! With the big 33" boggers and the 3.08 gears, I sometimes wish I had just a little more oomph on the pretty steep stuff. Not going to be hard on it or yank out stumps, but just a little more get up and go!