• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I put this on a M101?

Nissan11

Hi all, newbie here.
I'm looking for a shelter project. I will use it to tow in the sand at the beach and also dirt roads in national forests. My tow rig is a lifted v6 frontier.
I was originally wanting to do the standard S-250 on a M101, but I really want more room. I was told that a 1.5 ton trailer is too heavy for my truck, is that right?

Anyway, I saw this today and it looks perfect but I'm concerned I will not be able to get it on a 3/4 ton trailer.
Can anyone tell me what it is, what the dimensions are and what it weighs? Thanks!

MDSA

That looks like a nice sized unit for camping.

What are the dimensions? Weight? Kind of truck do you plan to pull it with?

I have put 2500 lbs of gravel in my 101 with no issues, but I pull with either the Deuce or a 1 ton Dodge.

FrankUSMC

Go with the M101 trailer, the M105 is way to heavy. Where is Trinity? I am in Newport, I have the M101s (M101, A1,A2) so you could look at them to see what you need. I also have the shelters here. The one in the photos will not work.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Scarecrow1

I may be wrong but the unit looks way to big to fit on a 101 and if it did it looks like it could surpass the weight limit and be a problem when towing but you never know until you try

Nissan11

Go with the M101 trailer, the M105 is way to heavy. Where is Trinity? I am in Newport, I have the M101s (M101, A1,A2) so you could look at them to see what you need. I also have the shelters here. The one in the photos will not work.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Trinity is about 15 min south of Greensboro. During the week in stay in the Uwharrie national forest in Troy, where I work. I'm in Trinity on the weekends.
Newport must be near the coast?

This is my tow rig. Max tow capacity 5000 lbs.

m38inmaine

I know from personal experience that an S-250 will not fit in a 3/4 ton cargo trailer. I have seen them mounted on 3/4 ton gen trailers though. I ended up storing mine in a M105 trailer.

Nissan11

I know the inside of the fenders will have to modified, and
I am pretty good with a welder and angle grinder. I'm not worried about making a few modifications. If I could figure out the weight of that bigger shelter and it isn't too heavy, I could fabricate a platform on a trailer for it to sit on.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would think that ambulance body would be fine on a 101 chasis as long as you don't do any extreme offroading. I would try and make it work if the price is right. You would definately want one with surge brakes.

m38inmaine

That bigger shelter in an Ambulance box and is way too heavy for a 3/4 ton trailer. It's designed for a 1 1/4 ton truck.

m38inmaine

I removed one of these from my M1010, I can tell you it is way too heavy. But go ahead and give it a try, you'll have reverse arched springs as a bonus.

m38inmaine

I just looked it up in the TM, a M1031 cab-chassis weighs 5250lbs, a M1010 ambulance weighs 7370lbs, so the box weighs 2,120lbs. Of course the ambulance has a spotlight on the roof and a air conditioning pump extra so you are atleast looking at 2,000lbs.

rlwm211

I would be very concerned with the amount of weight you will be pulling with as high a center of gravity as the M101 has with a fairly narrow stance.

The body of the M1010 is about 9 feet long and at least as wide as a M1010 cab plus a little so it will be probably wider than the bed of the 101 and at least as long, or slightly longer. I would guess almost 6 feet wide by 9 feet long.

I would suggest some reconnoitering and looking at various trailers with measurements of the body you think you want to use in hand. That way you can be sure it will all fit and still not overload your truck.

I have seen threads where someone took a M105 and put a lengthened M101 axle and braking system underneath and used that behind their POV. This lowered the CG and also lightened the trailer quite a bit. If you use High capacity tires on the M101 rims you should be fine.

The tires and springs of the 105 are a large portion of the weight of that trailer and that may be a solution for you in that it gets you a larger body, with some weight gain, but still manageable behind your Nissan. It would be heavy, probably up to 4000 with the M1010 body and your gear but still manageable. Off road is another issue that would bear some additional thought and experimentation. Have a friend with a deuce nearby to haul you out if you get stuck.

Another option is to get a M103 which is the flat bed version of the 105 and do the conversion to the M101 axle. Then you would have a clear deck without the extra weight of the sides and tailgate. The 103 is wider than a S250 by 2 feet. I know because I am mounting a S250 on a M103 this spring as a mobile emergency communications shack with generator storage batteries and supplies onboard to tow behind my deuce and S280.

Just my two cents worth,

RL

Last edited:

Nissan11

Just do it then. I put a S250 onto a smaller trailer, I would not want to tow it with your Nissan.
But what would we know?
I never said you didn't know anything, I was estimating the weight of the shelter.

The same surplus store has a 105 with no bed. It's just the frame, axle, springs, tires and wheels. Im sure they want $800 for it, though.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I have a 250 shelter and striped it weighs 1800lbs Your tow vec is not big enough to handle it, i dont care what the sticker sayes. Every year i see people pulling big campers with little trucks and i see a lot of them wrecked. And the big tires on your truck makes it 5 times worse.

123mack

I have a 105 frame and a 103 trailer for sale, your choice. It'll be cheap enought to justify driving over here. PM me if interested.