• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

Recovry4x4 said:
.....Has anyone ever seen a 6.2/6.5 mounted in the can with a starter on it? I'm questioning if the starter will clear the mount assy....
You are right: the starter does NOT clear the angle iron base structure!
So my answer is: No, you can't start it in the can...:(

G.

5_TON_TOMATOE

gringeltaube said:
Recovry4x4 said:
.....Has anyone ever seen a 6.2/6.5 mounted in the can with a starter on it? I'm questioning if the starter will clear the mount assy....
You are right: the starter does NOT clear the angle iron base structure!
So my answer is: No, you can't start it in the can...:(

G.
Way to pop my balloon! Maybe a little mod with the torch.

5_TON_TOMATOE

Recovry4x4 said:
Questions, Interjections and Observations. Firstly, the idea of starting an engine in the can (groundhopping) is always a resounding "Yes". I have a question about this though. Has anyone ever seen a 6.2/6.5 mounted in the can with a starter on it? I'm questioning if the starter will clear the mount assy. If it does clear than no problem. I'll know for sure when my canned motors start arriving. I'm no stranger to groundhopping. Mangus has the video of me groundhopping the LDT for my wrecker. If all you want to do is make surre it runs and has oil pressure, I'd not be overly concerned with coolant. It takes a while before these things even get warm. Once the cylinder head gets warm to the touch, it's time to think about killing it. As others have said, DO fill with oil and prime system, DO plug oil cooler bosses, DO run an oil pressure gauge. I'd not be too concerned with the GP system, just give it w whiff of starting fluid (if required) to get her lit. Assuming these are HMMWV engines (most canned ones are) the injection pump requires 24V for operation. This can be changed if your buyer is going to use in a 12V application. Sounds like JAsher has plenty of experience on the dyno with these engines, tap his experience. Here is another free observation though. The dyno room is a clean controlled environment, kinda like the operating room. We (I) work in my yard so I'm not nearly s high tech but am able to at least determine the engine's ability to run and establish oil pressure.
Kenny- Whats involved to change it to 12V- Not the whole pump, I hope?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

Not the whole pump, just that top assy is all that's required. I suspected that the starter wouldn't clear. I plan on figuring out a way around this before too long.

JAsher45

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Can i run a 6.2L in the engine can?

all you have to change is the top of the IP ... the fuel shut off solinoid is in the cap 24V HMMWV and 12V for CUCV ... you should be able to remove the right side fame piece...the angle iron place a bottle jack under it ... lift the engine and remove and then set a block of wood unber the right fron engine mount.