• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I run tires without the runflats and PVC inserts?

tobyS

The guys at tire shops have a tank that has a ball valve and nozzle, putting a bunch of pressure into the tank and then releasing it in big volume inside the tire. It's a bit safer than either or hair spray....still a violent event.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the joy of 16.5’s. If you have a really good air source, soap the beads, use a lock on chuck with the valve core removed, and another air hose with a wide-open nozzle and blow air in the bead.

tobyS

A potato gun would work pretty well, without the potato.

NO, NO....I'm not recommending that. I was just thinking about the force from the air tank and it seemed about the same force as a potato gun.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You can run them with other rims that are not bead lock.

Example... My ride...

I don’t air down lower then 20 psi on the trails
Real bad idea without the runflat or PVC bead lock sleeves. Not enough lip & wrong angles. Dangerous just thinking abort it IMO.

Stock military rims not called bead lock for nothing, CAMO

2INSANE

I’ve been running Military Oz 37/12.5/r16.5 on Raceline Comet rims for over 10 years on every type of terrain possible and never threw a bead. No inserts or run flats.

The rims are 10” wide. Have to use a cheetah to set the bead on the rims. Once set, they never come off except when I blow a sidewall on a sharp rock or wear the traction down to nothing.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve been running Military Oz 37/12.5/r16.5 on Raceline Comet rims for over 10 years on every type of terrain possible and never threw a bead. No inserts or run flats.

The rims are 10” wide. Have to use a cheetah to set the bead on the rims. Once set, they never come off except when I blow a sidewall on a sharp rock or wear the traction down to nothing.
To steal a comment from a prior post in this thread:

Again, this is mixing apples with spaghettis.

MILITARY RIMS ARE BEST WITH BEADLOCKS! You're not running military rims.

Geez, this is a ridiculous thread.