• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I swap in 3/4T HD springs into my M1009?

edpdx

I have a 73 C20 pick-up (chevy, for those of you that don't habla), I was going to sell the truck; but am wondering if I can swap the rear springs straight across for the ones in my Blazer- any know, or try it yet?

Ed

Iceman3005

All blazers, suburbans, 1/2 ton trucks and most 3/4 ton trucks came with 52 inch springs, so measure them, but they should bolt right up, some 3/4 tons and all 1 tons came with 56 inch springs.

Iceman3005

Also the 1 ton springs are 3 inches wide all others are 2.5 inches, but I do believe they will work on any chevy due too the spring perches all being the same width, except for the 1 ton rear springs being longer but you could always relocate the rear spring perch.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want toughter springs, without a lift, have you considered stopping in at a local spring shop and asking around?

edpdx

ok, I'll measure them; but even if the truck has a longer set, this guy in my body/paint class yesterday told me he did the same swap and they bolted right in- his bronco was in the shop and when I looked at it, it was apparent that the leaf swap gave him a lift as well.

NOW... what can be done to the front to get it up the same amount?

Will brake lines need to be re fabbed? OH, oh...

Iceman3005

you can do up too a 4 inch lift without extending brake lines. use 3/4 ton springs on front that will give you a small lift in the front, about an inch, 1 ton springs will add 2 inches too the front.

edpdx

Iceman, so are you saying I should be able to get all the springs from my 3/4 ton pick up (front and rear) and put them into my Blazer? What will happen to the pick up if I put the blazer springs in it? Would it just be a 1/2 ton?

Iceman3005

Oh ya, thats what I would do, everything will swap right over. If you put the blazer springs on the pickup than yes it will be a 1/2 ton.

edpdx

wdbtchr, what do you mean? Is the Blazer going to ride noticeably harder? The C10 pick up- a 1/2T is different because of the springs; yet I don't notice a harsh ride in my C20 with 3/4T springs. Besides the 3/4T springs have been broken in for 38 years.

wdbtchr

I swapped a set out of an '80 Chevy K-20 into a civy Blazer and it gave it a killer ride. Both were civy but don't know that makes a difference.

Last edited:

12vctd

ok maybe i can clear this up alittle. Swaping the springs will work, but your shackle angle will be horrid. But If you move the shackle mount rearward you would be fine. A very popualr offroading suspension is a set of 63 in rear springs from a 88 to 97 (other years as well) 1/2 pick up. This mod with a shackle flip kit in the rear really softens the rear suspension and allows alot of suspension flex, and usually nets about 4 to 5 inches of lift depending on the shackle flip used. Then you can take your rear 52 inch rear leaves and put them on the front. (you would need a crossover steering setup and longer front shaft. this also nets about 4 inches of lift.

Basic answer thou is 56 inch springs will bolt up but its not advised as it pushes your shackle way back, unless you move the foward spring mount.

edpdx

12vctd, Thanks for the details, they did help answer my question... decision time.

NOW... what is: " M1009 adv inj timing, 1/8 Fuel screw turn, runs like a dream."? This sounds like a must do mod, what exactly is this about?

45FMJoe

Probably, but you will hate life driving that short wheel base with those springs. I know this because I put 1 ton springs on my RamCharger once....