• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I use an XM1061E1 trailer to haul a vehicle?

Mayor Joe

I'm thinking of purchasing an XM1061E1 trailer and using it to haul another vehicle behind my deuce. (See photos below). The trailer is rated for a 10K load and the vehicle I'm thinking of towing weighs 5500 lbs.

I have a set of ramps that will work perfectly, want some other opinions before I buy this thing.

Thanks.

Attachments

area52

Yep, that is the perfect military trailer, I think. I have tried to get one of those to haul my rock crawler for awhile now. I think they will do just fine as long as your vehicle is under 19' wheel base! :grin:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought about one of those trailers also. I've finally come to the conclusion that they just aren't practical though. IMO they are way too heavy for no bigger than they are. The deck height is awfully high also. With all that being said, if you don't mind all of the things mentioned they will work for what you are wanting to do.

I ended up scoring a 24' civilain trailer for less money that most of the M106 trailers sell on GL for. It weighs less (4K), has the same payload cap (10K), is longer, and it has a lower deck height with dovetail and ramps.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought that those trailers would be great, but have never seen one in person. The fronts and rears look great for an equipment trailer, but cant see how to tie stuff on, along the sides from the various pictures. That may just be the pictures not showing tie downs.

The weight doesn't bother me. The M35 weighs a lot for having only 12 feet of deck, not to mention how hight the deck is. A least there is enough trailer there to follow along behind the Deuce. Sometimes that is a hard act to follow!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed a laundry trailer with all the laundry equipment on it, 10K pounds, behind the deuce, and it was SLOW going. And braking made me feel a bit nervous. Your trailer is the same, and with the vehicle on it, it will weigh the same as well. IMHO, get a 5-ton to tow your trailer and truck, it will be a lot safer.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weight doesn't bother me. The M35 weighs a lot for having only 12 feet of deck, not to mention how hight the deck is. A least there is enough trailer there to follow along behind the Deuce. Sometimes that is a hard act to follow!
The main problem with the weight is the deuce is rated for only 10K towed load. That leaves you with only around 4.5K cargo cap. Now we all know a deuce can tow more than 10K (how safe it is, is up for debate) but it's going to be slow and I wouldn't want to go far or do it very often.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I am probably one of the few that has towed a 1061 behind a deuce for long distances with a load on more than one occasion. As a matter of fact it was the one Maddawg bought and stripped the laundry stuff off of. I moved myself from MD to GA and had to make 3 total trips over a 4 month period. Each leg of these trips was 770 miles. I have also driven it back up to the NJ and Aberdeen shows. My normal load doing all this was 8 pallet boxes on the bottom measuring 48L x 40W x 40H and a further 8 on top measuring 48x40x30H. So it can carry a lot but it also weighes a lot.

Everyone is correct. It's too heavy for a deuce but can work. I tend to plan my trip around any potential traffic to avoid issues. I also avoid the more hilly direct route of I77 to I 81 and opt for a longer but flatter route. I can still achieve 45-50 mph but barely. The least it has taken me is 16 hours for a leg and that was empty. I normally plan on being on the road a full 24 hours for each leg. You will need a CDL at that point cause you will invariably go over the limit.

I currently have a 280 shelter on my trailer and plan to keep it on there for awhile. But I'm always on the lookout for better options. The bolster is slightly lighter and I should still be able to fit the 280 on it. I don't think that's the answer though as it is still too much trailer weight for what I'm carrying. I don't want to go 5 ton cause of the vehicle cost as well as other costs of insurance and weight.

For now I will keep the status quo until I find something better.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've also towed my 1061 all over. It's heavy, but the pumps are turned up in my trucks and I can move along just fine. It brakes very well, empty it will skid the tires too easy. Deck height is 37in, which is perfect workbench for me. And with the top and frame it can be an enclosed trailer. 1000.00, and a lot of trailer for that amount.

I should note, I tow with M35 and M108.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All day, I thought about this thread. "Heavy and Slow", compared to what! By deffination, all military vehicles are heavy and slow. Especially when when they are on a modern Interstate, rated for 65/75 MPH. They are out of their element. I live in a part of the country where there a still stretches, hundreds of miles long, of less then, well maintained roads. Often with physical imperfections that can and do limit speeds to maybe 30 MPH. I guess that is where I come from, because then "heavy and slow" has no relevance - its about getting through. Then the 1061 would just be built to the same standards as other MV's. These highways here, even the paved ones are littered with civy trailer parts - springs, wheels, hubs....you name it. And I just smile when I blow by the motor home doing 6 MPH, when I',m doing 30.

Mayor Joe

Still debating.... the responses have been VERY helpful though - So THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! My 1944 WC52 arrived from California yesterday and I'm even more anxious to come up with the right combo to pull it with the Deuce. I go to a lot of shows and events within a 2-3 hour drive - and want to bring the WC with.

Attachments

5tonpuller

I have a M1061a2 I use here for a lot of things. I have taken 6 good sized logs to the mill.
^ pallets of stone to the local stone yard. Hauled 5 tons of gravel home. The cars n trucks are just to many to list. With a M543a2 the cars and trucks you have to watch because of the boom.
Still looking for the extra tung that went with the thing. Hills are slow. Empty the wheels will slide. Loaded you will use the brakes. Not sorry I bought one.
Matt

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Find out what the combo will weigh and find a trailer you can borrow. Load it up to the weight you found and go for a drive. That should tell you if it would be worth it. On a side note, tow bar out of the question? I'm not familiar with the WC MVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks