• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I use winch and drivetrain at same time

ericp351

hi all! basic and dumb sounding question not clearly covered in tm. i have 925a2. can i engage and use winch with drive wheels next time i get her stuck? i don,t see why not, but don,t want to break something.
also, i found welds broken for linkage in cab. is that typical or a week point? someone was in there before with a
only 6000k miles. thanks!

sandcobra164

Questioned answered but no you cannot use the PTO and the drivetrain at the same time. If the PTO is engaged and you move the shifter, you will hear a loud bang and it will cut off. Learned this first hand with a M936A2. The newer FMTV wreckers will not go into gear if the PTO is engaged, you will instead have a flashing green light on the shifter display showing two boxes.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Q If the PTO is engaged and you move the shifter, you will hear a loud bang and it will cut off. Learned this first hand with a M936A2.
So, I'm confused.

To get the PTO to engage, and to disengage it, you put the truck into gear with the brakes applied and then manipulate the lever. Possibly needing to move the truck a few inches to get it to engage.

Then shift to neutral to use.

I'd assumed (but hadn't tried, because assume) that the PTO was tied to a gear that was past the torque converter and was just stopped in gear and turned if the wheels were turning. (And just spun in neutral, because no resistance) I'd hoped, that if I was stuck and spinning that gear would be turning providing some power... Not so?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmn.... I use mine all the time in neutral, forward, and reverse, no loud bangs or cut offs. The only thing is unless in neutral the output on the transmission has to be turning to move hydraulic fluid to your winch. In other words your wheels have to turning (spinning or moving forward or reverse) to allow the transmission PTO to provide fluid to the winches hydraulic pump.

Just be certain you do not exceed 1800 RPM while winching in any scenario!!! Bad Juju...

M925A2 with dump hoist

Last edited:

ericp351

thanks, guess question not as dumb as feared. is linkage mounts for wench control known weak, or mine just prev. beat on?

74M35A2

Hmmmn.... I use mine all the time in neutral, forward, and reverse, no loud bangs or cut offs. The only thing is unless in neutral the output on the transmission has to be turning to move hydraulic fluid to your winch. In other words your wheels have to turning (spinning or moving forward or reverse) to allow the transmission PTO to provide fluid to the winches hydraulic pump.

Just be certain you do not exceed 1800 RPM while winching in any scenario!!! Bad Juju...

M925A2 with dump hoist
This is correct.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks, guess question not as dumb as feared. is linkage mounts for wench control known weak, or mine just prev. beat on?
No dumb questions...

My linkage in my control tower was bent up and didn't function properly when I got my truck. I found the cable and the hydraulic control valve where both very hard to operate.
I unhooked, cleaned, lubed and worked them both vigorously. Then repaired the control tower the best I could, now it works fine.

It appears that everything corrodes and seizes with lack of use and lubrication, then when someone goes to use the winch, they put to much pressure on the lever and it bends or breaks the linkage mounts inside the tower.

ericp351

thanks, the bent linkage and dry cable was my case exaactly. i kind of enjoy somee common scence type of repairs sometimes. i can get into troubles with the gas wrench and buzz box on most cars since the cat converters!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks