• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can someone confirm soft top measurements

tgejesse

I bought a 4 man kit from SECO parts and I’ve received a bad passenger side rail twice now.

First,
Has anyone had this experience?

Second,
Can anyone confirm the measurement center screw to center screw from b pillar to a pillar where the side rail mounts? I measure 33.25 on both driver and passenger.
When I measure the rail holes on the (now twice) wrong side rail, I measure 32.75 from center hole to center hole.

I’m going nuts but I just think this Chinese crap is just made entirely wrong.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 4 man kit from SECO parts and I’ve received a bad passenger side rail twice now.

First,
Has anyone had this experience?

Second,
Can anyone confirm the measurement center screw to center screw from b pillar to a pillar where the side rail mounts? I measure 33.25 on both driver and passenger.
When I measure the rail holes on the (now twice) wrong side rail, I measure 32.75 from center hole to center hole.

I’m going nuts but I just think this Chinese crap is just made entirely wrong.
I can measure the rails they sent me last week. I don’t know if that helps you very much.

tgejesse

I can measure the rails they sent me last week. I don’t know if that helps you very much.
I’m willing to bet what you have matches me because I now have 2 from him that are the same (but wrong).
If you paid anything near what I paid, you might wanna try to install your rails ASAP cause if multiple of us are seeing the same thing it makes me sound less crazy.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 33” to 1st hole on one and 32 3/4” on the other. The notch for the b-pillar is off the same. I don’t have my truck yet so I don’t know what is the right one. Look at the quality, was wrapped while paint was wet. We paid a lot for that stuff.38713CCE-485D-47D9-B15B-AEA1142A8924.jpeg240D51F5-82D2-497F-8F56-7C03B5300DDC.jpeg4E95F2FD-D347-4CEC-B3DE-E3EA4EF91BEF.jpeg

Last edited:

tgejesse

Last edited:

Action

Are the seco parts marked LH and RH like the originals? It was in the metal.
The windshield frame is on hinges. It tilts front to back. Loosen all 12 bolts of inside w/s frsme hinges. Pull those 2 pins out. Attach handrails (if they fit). Reattach all the hinge stuff. There are shims behind the upper inside hinge. You may need more or less shims.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the seco parts marked LH and RH like the originals? It was in the metal.
The windshield frame is on hinges. It tilts front to back. Loosen all 12 bolts of inside w/s frsme hinges. Pull those 2 pins out. Attach handrails (if they fit). Reattach all the hinge stuff. There are shims behind the upper inside hinge. You may need more or less shims.
That would probably get it to fit but it’s not what you should have to do considering the amount we paid. That will change door gap also because the difference has to go somewhere. I don’t understand how you can make a part wrong when you have what it should look like right in front of you.
I didn’t see any L or R on them

tgejesse

That would probably get it to fit but it’s not what you should have to do considering the amount we paid. That will change door gap also because the difference has to go somewhere. I don’t understand how you can make a part wrong when you have what it should look like right in front of you.
I didn’t see any L or R on them
Second this.
They are not marked, they are clearly aftermarket.
My concern loosening up the windshield / b pillar to try and make everything fit, is going to throw everything else out of alignment.

I have to call SECO today again and see what we can agree on.

tgejesse

If anyone else is having problems, call SECO. Despite this inconvenience, they handle their customers well. No bad blood.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who have never installed an OEM top….your going to find fitment varies from truck to truck even with OEM top kits, so unless you have attempted to fit your aftermarket hardware, I would not pass judgement so quickly.
ots not uncommon to have to cut or grind a bit to get this garbage to line up.
ive installed hundreds of kits in the last 30yrs.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who have never installed an OEM top….your going to find fitment varies from truck to truck even with OEM top kits, so unless you have attempted to fit your aftermarket hardware, I would not pass judgement so quickly.
ots not uncommon to have to cut or grind a bit to get this garbage to line up.
ive installed hundreds of kits in the last 30yrs.
I completely understand that we are not building a watch but both rails should be a mirror image of each other. If you start with a rail that’s already 5/16 out and you are installing it on a vehicle that’s a 1/4 out the other way you are a 9/16” from fitting. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want rails that are the same dimensions unless they are being advertised as rails that are pretty close to being right. I wouldn’t have bought them knowing that. The nut serts are not the same width apart so bows will need to be wallard out a 1/4” and the top clips are off also but that’s not a problem.BB933CAA-4B59-40F2-983B-71EE5103AC5E.jpegC30FF62A-7A39-41CA-82EF-1C86895B9058.jpeg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I completely understand that we are not building a watch but both rails should be a mirror image of each other. If you start with a rail that’s already 5/16 out and you are installing it on a vehicle that’s a 1/4 out the other way you are a 9/16” from fitting. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want rails that are the same dimensions unless they are being advertised as rails that are pretty close to being right. I wouldn’t have bought them knowing that. The nut serts are not the same width apart so bows will need to be wallard out a 1/4” and the top clips are off also but that’s not a problem.View attachment 840202View attachment 840203
so as I understand it, you have not attempted to install this kit on a truck but your convinced it’s not going to fit?
you have never had an OEM kit nor installed one to compare it with the kit your bought from SECO?
just trying to understand the logic…

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so as I understand it, you have not attempted to install this kit on a truck but your convinced it’s not going to fit?
you have never had an OEM kit nor installed one to compare it with the kit your bought from SECO?
Yes you are correct! The only thing I’m convinced of is that the pieces should be a left and a right and they should be the same dimensions. So you are saying that they intentionally make them different so they fit the trucks better? I have zero problem loosening ever pillar I have to make it fit but I’m not doing that to make it fit a part that’s obviously made wrong

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you are correct! The only thing I’m convinced of is that the pieces should be a left and a right and they should be the same dimensions. So you are saying that they intentionally make them different so they fit the trucks better?
no, I’m saying maybe Attempt to install them first…but yes, there are left and rights of the side rails.
im just point out “as I did in my first post” even the OEM kits often require some fudging.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no, I’m saying maybe Attempt to install them first…but yes, there are left and rights of the side rails.
im just point out “as I did in my first post” even the OEM kits often require some fudging.
I’m pretty sure I can get it to fit if it was 1” out then I would just need to trim roof a little bit and the doors and add onto the other door and stick a cat in the gap. That’s just not how I do stuff and I don’t use vise grips on bolt heads either. I don’t think less of anyone that does or is willing to do it. Even with the perfect rail it’s not going to fit but at least you are putting it where it should be not to where it shouldn’t be and even if they were both off but the same I’m ok with it. Everyone just has to build what/how they want and end of the day if they are happy with it that’s all that matters. You are probably right and I could change my mind once I get my truck.lol maybe I will go buy a new pair of vise grips
Edit:
The parts you sent me are perfect and I couldn’t be happier! Thanks

Last edited:

tgejesse

I have. Hence why I posted this thread. The measurements are off to where the rails aren’t even close. I didn’t even get to testing the bows because.... the rails wouldn’t fit.
Nothing is ever perfect, but these rails are outside the parameter of acceptable.

Action

I have. Hence why I posted this thread. The measurements are off to where the rails aren’t even close. I didn’t even get to testing the bows because.... the rails wouldn’t fit.
Nothing is ever perfect, but these rails are outside the parameter of acceptable.
Did you swap sides and try to install.
And, yes, the factory rails are nearly mirror image of each other.
A while back, someone posted pics of their softtop not fitting. The velcro was inches from reaching the bows, light could be seen thru the seams and the rain gutters were wavy. Does anyone recall where that top came from?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you swap sides and try to install.
And, yes, the factory rails are nearly mirror image of each other.
A while back, someone posted pics of their softtop not fitting. The velcro was inches from reaching the bows, light could be seen thru the seams and the rain gutters were wavy. Does anyone recall where that top came from?
Seco is where we got the c-pillar and hardware kit. C-pillar has a number stamped on it and that gave me piece of mind until this

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... One of our house rules: • Do not post unfriendly or insulting comments or replies to other members., This can start unpleasant exchanges which no one wants to read in an otherwise valuable topic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks