• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can someone help me identify which wheels are on my M818?

Rgdl

I bought all six Michelin XZL 1600s for my M818 from a guy in Wisconsin. They were already mounted on the wheels pictured below. He delivered them to Andy (army6x6) in Owatonna, MN where they were installed on my truck before I picked it up and drove it home.

Can someone look at the pic and identify these wheels? When it comes to 1600 tires I am aware of HEMTT wheels as well as combat wheels but neither of these look like mine. All I know is that the ones I have run tubes inside the tires and that Andy had to install longer studs in the front hubs for these wheels to bolt onto.

On a side note: I drove this truck home on the interstates approx 500 miles without issue and parked it where it didn't move for almost a year through four seasons including a cold Canadian winter. Last Friday I re-installed the freshly charged batteries (removed them for winter), primed her and she started right up. Checked the tire pressures and they all held at 80 psi. I have been driving it lots since then. Even drove through rush-hour traffic yesterday. I friggin' love driving this truck!!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look like early lock ring HEMTT rims. There is a demil order on those for safety reasons.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, that certainly looks like a 3 piece rim. I don't know what the original hemtt rims look like, so I will wait to hear what the others say.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a little google search and some drawing.....

This looks very similar to the ones pictured by the O.P.
BTW: backspace is the same as for the 2pc HEMTT wheels (last drawing)

Wondering how the ones in Q. compare regarding offset / backspace?

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that certainly looks like a 3 piece rim. I don't know what the original hemtt rims look like, so I will wait to hear what the others say.
Sorry to confuse: 3 piece rim=original (early) hemtt rim. 2 piece rim (bolt together)= late hemtt rim. Does anyone know what the issue is with the 3 piece rims are suffering demil cuts before being released? KMT has hundreds of these rim/tire assys with one lug hole burned to the pilot hole.

Rgdl

All good information guys. Thank you for the help.

So it looks like I'm OK to run these for awhile. I want to eventually get my hands on some later-model 2-piece HEMTT wheels but there doesn't appear to be any rush.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks