• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can Someone tell me the difference. LMTV FMTV

motorhead87

Trying to figure out the difference structurally between say an M1078 and M1083

From what I can tell is the m1083 has a ~1.5' longer bed and a second axle. Are there any differences, other than the second axle, such as frame composition or anything that gives it 5t instead of 2.5t?

Continuing this thought, if you wanted the longer bed but don't care for the extra capacity. Would it be better to get a m1083 and remove the middle axle (swap in a m1078 suspension and axle maybe) OR just put an extension on an m1078. Possibly even sliding the axle aft so as not to lose departure angle.

Attachments

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you get up into the M1089's, the rest have the same frame and most major components. Even the axles are the same across the entire family. The major difference between the M1083's and the M1078's are the HP rating of the engine (290/330 vs 225), bed/frame length, intermediate axle, and rear suspension. There are some other minor differences, but those are the big things.

The right way to do it depends on how long you want to go, your level of skill, access to parts, and how you value your time.

M1078 has a 12.5' bed, 2 axles, and 225hp Cat 3116. We sell them with a 6 month warranty for $15,000.

M1083A1 has a 14' bed, 3 axles, and 330 HP Cat 3126. They are $19,500.

M1085A1 has a 20' bed, 3 axles, and 330 HP cat 3126. They are $25,000.

If you don't care about the engine or the bed, the cheapest way to go would be to cut the bed off of an M1078 and extend the frame and subframe. There are enough of us parting out trucks, that you can even get original frame components for the extensions. If you want more HP, one of the other options may be better for you.

Martin@fmtvsales.com

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you get up into the M1089's, the rest have the same frame and most major components. Even the axles are the same across the entire family. The major difference between the M1083's and the M1078's are the HP rating of the engine (290/330 vs 225), bed/frame length, intermediate axle, and rear suspension. There are some other minor differences, but those are the big things.

The right way to do it depends on how long you want to go, your level of skill, access to parts, and how you value your time.

M1078 has a 12.5' bed, 2 axles, and 225hp Cat 3116. We sell them with a 6 month warranty for $15,000.

If you don't care about the engine or the bed, the cheapest way to go would be to cut the bed off of an M1078 and extend the frame and subframe. There are enough of us parting out trucks, that you can even get original frame components for the extensions. If you want more HP, one of the other options may be better for you.

Martin@fmtvsales.com

THANK YOU for your facts and thoughts.

I took the liberty of reformatted the Specs you provided for easier reading/comparison.
Hope that's ok.
Have a blessed day.

John

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally I have a 1078 and a 1083 and am seriously contemplating removing the intermediate axle on the 5 ton with a 1078 rear suspension. I will never have the load density in the longer bed to need the full suspension capacity. As far as I could tell I would need - suspension, and a new drive shaft. To me that seems like a much easier process than stretching a 1078. But it’s just my opinion

motorhead87

Martin@fmtvsales.com
Very helpful!

Thank you! Very well said. And we'll be in touch. Interested mostly in not having to deal with auctions haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very helpful!

Thank you! Very well said. And we'll be in touch. Interested mostly in not having to deal with auctions haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
We buy a LOT of trucks and we try and avoid the auctions too :). With as many as we purchase, we pre-inspect all the trucks we buy and get them in batches before they hit the auction site and even then we end up cutting up 20-25% of the trucks when we find problems that aren't cost effective to fix. We will get an auction truck occasionally if it is something rare, but for the most part, it isn't worth the risk to us.

coachgeo

Personally I have a 1078 and a 1083 and am seriously contemplating removing the intermediate axle on the 5 ton with a 1078 rear suspension. I will never have the load density in the longer bed to need the full suspension capacity. As far as I could tell I would need - suspension, and a new drive shaft. To me that seems like a much easier process than stretching a 1078. But it’s just my opinion
since your swapping to leaf and making new shaft anyway.. imho just keep the intermediate and remove the axle behind it.. swap in leafs (and sway bar that will need most customization). You got to cut off part of the perch and add a very small angled block to put rotation into the rear axle to stay in proper line. but that is nothing really new .... standard procedure like is done when say someone does a spring over conversion on a Jeep or Toyota. Just bigger. In the end you will have basically same back end of truck.... drive system wise... of an A1R LMTV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks