• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can someone tell me what this part is?

remote6

What is this part? Its attached to the speedometer cable and goes into the transfer case. I looked in the TMS and in the civi manual cant find it theres a part that broke on it not shown that screws into the transfer case also how long is the speedo cable 100 inches
? for the m1009 oh and if you know the part number for this thatd be great. Thanks

zout

Basically that is a gear reduction assembly.
Its internal gears reduce per calibration the speed of the trans or driveline to the speedometer.

If it were electronic it would be a sensor that would run off a "tone" ring on the rear of the tail of the trans - picking up pulses per mile in a calibrated calculation for wheel size - gearing size etc etc etc and inputting the pulses to the calibrated speedometer.

For what that vehicle was manufactured for with its given tire size - gear ratio - the gears inside that little unit send the correct rotation to the speedo head for the given MPH - change any component and you have to know what gear ratio to change inside that little unit.

zout

this is another type like it - but main idea of what's inside - and those gears are calibrated - I do not know about NAPA - some CUCV guru will know.imagesCA5ZBPSR.jpg

remote6

Thanks I figured it was a gear reduction thingy but could not find the exact part in the texts. All advanced auto had was an electric thing napa people didn't know. Do you know if the civi k5s had this or electric?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the M1009 has smaller tires they used the "adapter" to calibrate the speedometer

The TM 9-2320-289-34P, Figure 291 shows the adapter. Item #8

Whenever I find a part and I don't know what it is, I look at the parts manual for the item and then look at the name and part number. When I find the part number I google it. Usually it comes up with where to buy it (not always).

When you look in the parts TM, on some items it will show "UOC" numbers. Each of the different vehicles in the model family has its own "Usable On Code". Want to know what the different model codes are for the different trucks? The first part of the Parts Tech Manual list the different modes and codes. This applies to all most all the MVs.

The M1009 is code 209. When looking at the adapter it shows that only the "209" uses that part.

As far as the part for your 1009, A speedometer shop may have one. Or buy one used. With the age of our trucks and the fact that very few new vehicles use a cable, I would guess the parts houses don't carry them anymore.

Last edited:

Barrman

All of the CUCV vehicles had the same engine and transmission. A few of the trucks had NP205 transfer cases while the rest had NP208's. This made the supply and maintenance pipelines very simple. Only the M1009 had 3.08 gears and the small tires Warthog mentioned. Everything else had 4.56 axle gearing. All the CUCV transfer cases got the same speedometer gears inside the t-case. The reduction box you are asking about was used to make the M1009 speedometer read accurate without anything internal having to be changed out.