• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can somone look at this picture of my glow plugs

dmc-4359

and perhaps offer some insight on what a previous owner set out to accomplish? I want everything related to getting this truck starting and stopping in tip top shape. My brandy darn new starter should be here in a few days along with some fuel system details. I am not sure if what I have for the glow plugs is a poor attempt at converting to 12v, or perhaps some other oddball stunt. I'm hoping some of you guys can help point me in the right direction.

Best I can tell from the FAQ's here and what other bits I have found on the internet, the 10 gauge red wire with the electrical tape junctions is what is connecting to the glow plugs on my 6.2. If that isn't correct, please let me know but that is what it looks like to me. Can someone point me to a picture of what the engine compartment wiring 'should' look like? I have done various searches here but I haven't quite stumbled over what I'm looking for. Below is what I have:

Michael

Looks like someone has replaced the stock green wires with the red wires in your pictures. I believe the two orange wires leaving the glowplug relay divide into the 4 green wires that go to each glow plug on each side of motor.

I can't tell if they modified the wiring harness any or just replaced the glowplug wires from your pictures. You have looked at the wiring diagram in the TM haven't you?

Try this link. You can pick different sizes to look at the pictures. Use original for the best detail.

http://1plant4u.smugmug.com/gallery/2338536_imx2k#122365690_KNF6x

Here is one of the relay end.

http://1plant4u.smugmug.com/gallery/2338485_vNWfN#122363277_22JU8-A-LB

This one shows the common conversion to bypass the resistor and get 12v power from the 12v buss.

http://1plant4u.smugmug.com/gallery/2338497_PrJFx#122364014_yyozD-A-LB

Last edited:

dmc-4359

Ah, that makes a world of sense! Thank you! From some of the other pics I took, it looks like mine has been converted to 12v for the glow plugs:

Is it a pain to go back? Should I just leave it be for the time being?

army_greywolf

24v plugs are available at the parts store and it says 24V above the threads of bosch glow plugs... the thing about that wiring is obvious to me, it needs to be redone.

Every wire should independently return to the relay. As another not, you should never ever convert to 12V plugs...no reason to, because even if the batteries have a low charge, 9/10 times it'll still be enough to heat the cylinders and start the truck.

Michael

Please note my last edit. I meant bypass the resistor. Your picture looks like it is still going to the resistor. It looks like you still have a basically stock setup that has been "repaired".

dmc-4359

Please note my last edit. I meant bypass the resistor. Your picture looks like it is still going to the resistor. It looks like you still have a basically stock setup that has been "repaired".
I wasn't able to make very much sense out of the wiring diagram on the first pass. I believe I understand what is going on now that I have seen the comparison between your 12v conversion pic link and what is setup on mine. Thank you.