• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAN SUPPORT BAR BE REMOVED TO ADD MORE LEG ROOM?

MonstaHummer

AT 6'0 280 AND THE SEAT ALL THE WAY BACK, I FIND MYSELF RIGHT AGAINST THE STEERING WHEEL MAKING A RATHER UNCOMFORTABLE DRIVING EXPERIENCE. THE BAR THAT RUNS ALONG THE BACK OF THE DRIVERS AND PASSENGER SEAT, CAN THAT BE REMOVED OR CUT DOWN TO ADD MORE LEGROOM OR IS THAT BAR STRUCTURAL? BEEN SEARCHING FOR A SOLUTION AND CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER.
203681105_5577398412335619_2392461033667949653_n.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The H1 doesn't use it, because on the H1 they put reinforcement brackets on the floor somehow (from what I have read).

That bar supports the floor panel in the 2 man configuration for the cargo area, and is used when bolting in some of the various bodies in the back of the 2 man truck (such as the contact maintenance body or the explosive ordnance disposal body)

From some things I have read it won't affect normal driving/wear and tear by removing it, but it will reduce a little sideways strength in case of impact.

Action

Someone posted a while back that their entire b-pillar wobbled on their soft top. After the braces were cut out.
FWIW, i would never buy a hmmwv that had those cut out.
The bars were not put there to support shelters. Shelters use them, because they are there.

AAVP7

Of course that heavy bar is structural. Among other tasks, it´s about the only part that gives a little bit of side impact protection.

Yesterday, we had a bad Humvee accident overhere in Germany when a tiny Volkswagen Lupo impacted with its front left corner exactly into the left B-Pillar (practically inches behind the driver). That bar was bent, but everything behind the bar was completely smashed to bits. I´m sure that bar did absorb a lot of energy.

Luckily, all involved survived, although with injuries.

I would never remove that cross bar. Like Action said, AMG did put it there for a purpose.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased sliders that will provide protection. I’m thinking of building a partial cage. I will be removing that pillar, (despite my prior statements), after I install the sliders.

My vehicle has a turret so it has a roof cage. I will tie into that. I will probably make a very simple cage with DOM and a few gussets. Double vertical bars by the B pillar will be filled with either Aluminum or rebar with epoxy (rebar with epoxy won’t kill the temper on the steel).

Bottom line is I need leg room, and it is unsafe to sit that far forward with a steering column that won’t collapse. IMHO

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
H1 does not use it from 1994-2006, I have an H1 body here, there is no more support in this body than any other hmmwv body. 1992-93 model years have the B-pillar filleted and reinforced to allow a couple more inches of reclining of the bucket seat. I’ve driven a lot of 92-93 H1’s with no issues in leg Room.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased sliders that will provide protection. I’m thinking of building a partial cage. I will be removing that pillar, (despite my prior statements), after I install the sliders.

My vehicle has a turret so it has a roof cage. I will tie into that. I will probably make a very simple cage with DOM and a few gussets. Double vertical bars by the B pillar will be filled with either Aluminum or rebar with epoxy (rebar with epoxy won’t kill the temper on the steel).

Bottom line is I need leg room, and it is unsafe to sit that far forward with a steering column that won’t collapse. IMHO
there is no need to have a cage of any sorts on a slantback, the roof support/turret support is tied to the A-pillar, B-pillar and C-pillar and of course the roof overlaid onto the support.
I’ve seen a lot of slantbacks overturned, they don’t suffer any roof collapse issue.
Your best off getting good seat restraints and making sure everything inside the truck is secured so the items don’t become projectiles. If your going to put on RPP, get steel, not the OEM aluminum, they are garbage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks