• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can the multifueler be jammed into an m135?

ncampbell

I am wanting to build an m109a2 but I am looking at an m220 with a running 302 in it. My thought about going with the older truck is they are cheaper and have the 6.17 gearing which with the bigger tires installed might make a nicer drive on the road. I do like the whole multifuel idea and working at a truck shop I can score some cheap "used" fuel. I can not find dimensions anywhere for the frame spacing and all of the other necessary info to try this project. I am not looking for all of the answers, just some input on the m135 framerail to framerail measurement, firewall to rad support measurement and general weight of the 302 with tranny. As for the multifueler I do have the dimensions of it so I guess I am just wondering if it will fit with a lot of work? The nose can be stretched for room maybe and the sheetmetal can be modified without making it too much of a "Frankentruck" I think. I realize that I can buy an m35 style truck and save a lot of work with the repower, but it seems to me that it is just not worth the expense and hassle of importing one into Canada. If I needed one tomorrow, sure that would be the way to go. I am looking for a long term project that in the end can be driven safely, used for camping and be put together from old equipment that is still available here in Canada and with parts imported from the USA. If anybody has done this crazy swap or can give me some info please let me know, thank you.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the jolly green giant. A lot of great guys I work with come from Truro, Parrsboro and Economy Mountain area. One of them has some schmokin' ocean front property looking onto the bay. Nice country to drive a deuce in, wow.

I can tell you that it's 34" between the frame rails at the winch brackets and I eat lobster. I'll pull a tape measure tomorrow if someone else doesn't get to it. Not sure if a multi-fuel would fit but I'd sure encourage you to try!!!! I hear rumors that anything fits if you put enough grease on it. Here's one with a Detroit 6V53. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?98983-My-first-heavy-truck-xm215

If you run through the Early Deuce Forum you can see a 211 with a new 6.2 that had a 455 in it. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?73907-My-GMC-a-little-update

We'll do a little googlin' on "M211 / M135 / M220 / M215 engine swap" and see what we come up with.

M220 multi-fuel sounds like a great combination!

You'd be real happy with an M35 and there are a few wizards on the site that could get a dozen or so imported for you, no problem$. Check out the site and read your tail off before you make any choices.

Post #77 on this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?25406-XM211-Recovery-trip/page8 is one of the best 302 ride along video's to date......just in case you decide to go pure.

Get er' done!

ncampbell

Thanks for the info. It's not surprising that you work with bluenosers out there. I worked in Ft. McMoney last summer, Alberta is beautiful. I'd appreciate the measurements and yes lobster is awesome, lol. As for the project idea, I agree on the anything fits mentality. I want something unique ( as if driving a deuce isn't unique enough ) and still look like something built for the troops. No matter what, it's a big, heavy, fuel guzzling monster but if it's possible to build something a little bit better than it was, and you enjoy doing it, it's worth a try! I'll check the links you gave me there thank you. Just for curiosity's sake, is it hard to get one approved for road driving out there? I know there were often roadside inspections on Highway 63 when I was out road testing mine trucks and they took their job VERY seriously. I just wonder what the law thinks about the jolly green giant? LOL, I like that. Thanks again!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck was previously registered in Alberta in 85'. That made the process simple. If you're lucky enough to get one previously registered you're laughing.
Out of Province or Salvage inspections may be required if the vehicle is imported or wrecked. The demand comes from the insurance company and must be provided prior to pinks coming your way.

If the DOT grabs my 1956GMC, it goes through the same process as a commercial unit with the exception of the "original equipment" rule. If it's registered historical and didn't have signal lights originally, It doesn't need them. The DOT pulls trucks for sweaty brake lines around here........and they should.

The 'value' of truck/ equipment/ trailer is also important. The insurance company relaxes a little if things are 'valued' under $4000.00 for 'historic vehicles'. You still get Public Liability PL and Public Damage PD coverage but consider the value of your truck under $4000.00. Once you go above that value your insurance costs go up.

It really comes down to truck usage, weights and ethics. I pay very little for insurance but my truck is used less then 5000 km per year and for functions that pay tribute to our military or expose it's history to the general public.

No measurements yet, must plow snow.

bigbird1

just looked at a salvage yard , there was a m135 with a multi fuel put in it, looks like they cut the firewall and tucked the back one or two cyl inside the cab. Next time I'm there I can get picture if you all want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks