• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can the tranny realy fall out

So if my tranny is so loose its leaking, pouring fluid out could it just drop out of the truck going down the road? No I'm not going to drive it, its getting a tow on monday to the shop. Has anyone had a similar story and does it ever have a happy ending? would metal shavings equate to toasted transmission? Thoughts and advice, its been a bad day and then some. Any trannys close by to N. Az.?
Thanks,
Mark

Alredneck

Banned
Ask Woodywood about his case that broke all the way around. It didnt fall out but it was danm close.

LanceRobson

Hello, Mark

When you say it is loose, do you mean that the mounting bolts holding it to the engine are loose? If so, have you tried to tighten them? They aren't too hard to get to.

Where is it leaking? At the input seal? Dropping the transmission is not too diffucult and doesn't need any elaborate tools.

Lance

I had not driven it in a long time, it was being previewed for sale when we found the problem. It was not the ideal time to find a quick fix or for that matter any fix. The gentleman that was purchasing it brought his diesel truck mechanic to look it over, it was just pouring oil from where I believe the input seal would be. There seemed to be metal shavings in the dripping oil which put everyone on high alert. After some kicking and screaming I took alot less for it and they plan to have it towed to there shop for a full rehab. If I were a better mechanic myself I might have seen the problem before hand and it might have been as simple as tighten and forget about it. As it turned out his mechanic insisted that when a tranny is that loose it we most always take something with it such as input shaft, clutch and more. I was not in the drivers seat to counter point his viewpoint. All is not lost and much can be learned from my experience, if I get another I will be in a better spot to take care of its needs. The last couple years have been like know other as far as my job and economic situation, it has sucked. And with this lack luster economic recovery it could be awhile before this guy can support any more green addictions.
Thanks Guys!

KsM715

I would have called off the sale and had my own mechanic look it over.

Im not implying that the buyer was trying to pull one over on you but some guys do have some dirty tricks.

bgekky3

Deuce transmissions are very easy to remove. There are no crossmembers holding them up, only the bolts on the bell housing. They also do not have a front seal. If they are over filled they will leak out the front.

No pic of the front but one of the trans comming out.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,
You sold the truck for less due to the issue you found, you took a fair amount off of the price to cover a repair, like $400-$600.00 right? The buyer knew the issue was there. You are paying for the repair? :???:

I took allot off Will, like I said hard times require making adjustments, sometimes there not in your favor. I'll be alright with the outcome, I do wish I had a better handle on the fix, if its really just a case of tightening the bell housing bolts maybe I should give that a go and see if it has the right cure. My only concern then would be any unseen internal damage do to the tranny hanging off and being loose. Some of you guys on the site would do such a thing with confidence over a cup of coffee, I wish I had that skill set.

Thanks again for the advice,
Mark

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just sayin', if BOTH of you knew the issue was there and the price was adjusted accordingly, why are you paying for the repair? I'd offer to help locate some parts, but not foot the bill. The buyer bought it knowing full well there was an issue and work to be done. You adjusted your price to compensate for the repairs. You have done your part. You were honest and didn't try to cover it up and it's not like it happened on a 250 mile trip back to his place, In that case, I would feel like like I needed to help out.

That's like me going to buy a truck with a rod hanging out the side, paying $1000 for it then telling the seller I want HIM to pay for the repair. That's not right.

Are you offering or is he asking/telling you you need to do it?

Will, He had come to buy sight unseen, and after start up it started the oil piss contest from the bell housing, the price he was then willing to pay dropped like a balloon. I'd of sent him off then except I don't consider myself the right guy for the repair. All and all he was real decent and we were both caught off guard with the whole thing, it was the last thing I expected. I am going to have a guy look at it with a second opinion Monday morning, if it tightens up and stops leaking tranny fluid I might tell the buyer he can have the truck for more than it was agreed too yesterday. Will see how that goes over and plan accordingly.

Mark

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the tranny isn't filled up to the hole. It will leak if so. Should be slightly below.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks