• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can This Be Fixed???

soule64

New guy, first post - been lurking for a while waiting for my EUC to clear trying to learn as much as I can. I spent many years in the Army and was fielded new CUCVs in Alaska/Germany back in the 80's, so I am familiar with them from an operator's standpoint, but now I find myself with a heck of a problem. I got this M1008A1 from Redstone Arsenal last week - bent d/s and a cracked transmission housing. I am not worried about the d/s, I have a gear vendors overdrive on order so I would need to get it shortened anyway - but the transmission is another story. Can it be welded or should I write it off and look for a replacement? I welcome any suggestions - thanks!

Attachments

chevymike

Being where the crack is at, you will likely be looking for a new transmission. Most welding shops, to even weld that, will require complete disassembly of the transmission anyways so you would be better off finding a replacment.

Bummer. Sounds like it was picked up with a forklift, since the driveshaft is damaged. Likely lifting by the DS caused the trans crack.

OLDCHEV4X4

Yea, i would find another tranny case or another complete trans. They usually crack at the trans/ transfer case adapter when they get the forklift treatment. Make sure thats not cracked too.
aua

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is cast iron - braze it. But Mike is right, it needs to be completely dis-assembled, to do it properly. I would have no problem with the repair, but as described, it might be more trouble then it is worth. If your not going to take it out, don't even bother trying to do it assembled. That would be a waste of time. If its aluminum, distortion would be much more of a problem. Either way, finding somebody good enough to do the repair, might take some effort too.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhh....the joys of buying from GL. Welcome to the club.

That is a major crack and it will be easier/cheaper to just replace the tranny.

soule64

Thanks for the help. Looks like I am in the market for a replacement. I'll post a WTB in the classifieds and see if there is something within driving distance of N. Ala. These things happen I guess. This board is great, by the way. Already had a plan for the truck a month before I got it based on the posts here.

kapnklug

Definitely replace the whole trans. The crack may have caused misalignment of internal moving parts, and who knows how long its been that way.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing accademy.:cookoo:

There are several of us "Green Iron Addicts" in the NE AL area.

If you get down this way (I am about 60 miles SE of Redstone) give me a yell.

I'll put something special on the grill.

Attachments

Last edited:

soule64

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing accademy.:cookoo:

There are several of us "Green Iron Addicts" in the NE AL area.

If you get down this way (I am about 60 miles SE of Redstone) give me a yell.

I'll put something special on the grill.
Well, I'd sure like to meet anyone in the area that's into these trucks, and I sure do appreciate the hospitality, but I might have to pass on the possum:D:D!
(is there a story or something I'm missing???)

Oldsouthernboy

Hang on here I know where a scrap or crap M1009 is, The price I do not know but I know it had a engine, tanny and transfer case present. Missing starter, alternators, alernator bracket power, steer pump bracket is broke, and rusted out body. If interested I will post you the number of the owner and you can work out a deal. It is located in Jacksonville, AL a little farther south than possum.

soule64

Hang on here I know where a scrap or crap M1009 is, The price I do not know but I know it had a engine, tanny and transfer case present. Missing starter, alternators, alernator bracket power, steer pump bracket is broke, and rusted out body. If interested I will post you the number of the owner and you can work out a deal. It is located in Jacksonville, AL a little farther south than possum.
Yes, definitely interested. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

KsM715

Well, I'd sure like to meet anyone in the area that's into these trucks, and I sure do appreciate the hospitality, but I might have to pass on the possum:D:D!

No, your not missing anything. But Wreckerman is. (a few marbles) :razz:rofl

lindyp38

mine was damaged too.....passenger side door......fender.......bed.........driveshaft.....

.....but im glad i have it....and am slowly getting it back into shape with the many fine folks i have met here........

words cannot express the thanks .......that i feel.......all the fine advice...ppl taking time out from their busy lives to help me..out...

good luck....and if i can ever be of assistance..id be glad to pay it foward......

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You went there!!!

OH POOP!!!
You had to get him started...didn't ya!!:oops:

WM is a super troop but please listen to me!! If ya go to his AO...take yer own meat...and cook it yerself.:roll:

There is an erie absence of woodland creatures and even rodents in his AO...just sayin:jumpin:

When I visit WM's AO Baby Bear stays in the Guntruck...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks