• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can we create a salvage yard reference guide, or something similar?

jasonjc

Lonesome, you have a GREAT IDEA!!! I have been thinking of that for a while. It would make a great addtion to the site. Kind of like the advertiser's index in Military Vehicles Magazine and Supply Line Magazine. Why can't we do this in the WIKI section. Just start a thread called "surplus yards" and everyone enter their state and all available yards in that state, and what inventory they have.

This sounds like a good way to go.

And as for the NSN its like a part number. The 3/4 ton trailers have like 3 or 4 diffrent hubs I think.

But I here your pain and feel for you:p. And I TOO would like too see a list.;-)

But then again it would be like the TM section and no one would look there either!!!!!!

Last edited:

AndrewH

Would the wiki list be 'searchable'? And if it was, it would be difficult to look for any one particular nsn number. If the person looking knew where to find trailers for instance, that would help a lot even without nsn numbers. It would be dissipointing to drive there only to find the trailers have the wrong hub, but unless someone is going to completly inventory the salvage yards inventory that's an acceptible risk I suppose. Lets try it and see. Oh, could there be a section to reply to the list. So someone could say "hey this worked for me!"?"

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, take a look in the WIKI. I know I have left off a few states. Working on that. Andrew, there is no way to put part numbers on the WIKI that people have in inventory. You will have to call the vendor. Inventories change minute by minute.

One day I will do a list of yards that no longer exist.

Peepaw

OK, take a look in the WIKI. I know I have left off a few states. Working on that. Andrew, there is no way to put part numbers on the WIKI that people have in inventory. You will have to call the vendor. Inventories change minute by minute.

One day I will do a list of yards that no longer exist.

NDT, I like the way you got it started, but why in the Wiki section?
After all THIS is the salvage yard info section. Is there something I'm missing?
I think Lonesomes original idea as a sticky in this section would get a lot more attention.

Lonesome715

I agree. Mostly becuase I do not know what the Wiki section is. Plus, would it not make more sense to have the information in the salvage yard section?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT, I like the way you got it started, but why in the Wiki section?
After all THIS is the salvage yard info section. Is there something I'm missing?
I think Lonesomes original idea as a sticky in this section would get a lot more attention.

Well I'm no expert at these types of web sites but it seems to me the salvage yard forum has no place to make a list of something. Would I start a huge thread and then have others edit in the information? I know the WIKI is a seldom visited place on the site but I think it is where this kind of data belongs. If you click on the "Forum" button and scroll all the way to the bottom, that is where the WIKI is. There are other entries for deuces, CUCV, etc. that have all kinds of reference data as well.

Lonesome715

I guess becuase it is not something I am familiar with is seems confusing. To me it makes more sense to have a sticky at the top of this forum with a list that can be updated when a Member has new information. But like I said, I do not know all the ends and outs on here.

usmc320

I believe NDT put it in the wiki section, because anybody can edit/add info to expand the list and keep it updated. Thanks Lonesome for bringing the idea up and thanks to NDT for starting the list.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Click on Forum, scroll all the way to the bottom of the list of forums, it is almost at the end. Click on the WIKI button, then select the Salvage Yard subject line.

The list will only work if we populate it with info, I do not know every yard in the US, and many I used to go to are gone now :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks