• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAN YOU? 5 ton PS system mounted on to a M35a2?

MrM4

Ive been reading many of the Power Steering threads and many guys seem to be going full hydro or assisted steering and steeling the pump off a 5 ton Multi Fuel. But what about the steering box and pitman arm ect...? is it possible to take the whole system from a 5 ton and make it fit the M35a2? I have been looking at adding PS to my armstrong steering truck that is in my avitar, with 16.00-20s its a job to drive it.

I mostly use this truck off road so a full hydro system would be ok ( no legal issues) but the cost is pretty high. So I am also considering a power assisted steering set up. Im just exploring all the options.

I found a guy with a dead 5 ton that is going to be parted and I was think about trying to use all the stuff from the 5 ton on my truck.

There so much info this site that Im alittle lost with all the talk of ROSS HF pumps plus the full hydro info that is mixed in.

Basically I want to know if I can strip the 5 ton PS and use it on the Deuce. Also is there much for mods going the 5 ton route?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Seth_O

Short answer is no, you can't directly port the 5 ton PS to the deuce frame. That being said - ANYTHING is possible with enough time, skill and money. But some things aren't worth it.

I am about to kick off my PS conversion. You need the PS pump off a multifuel powered 5-ton (some had cummins engines and those won't work.) Then you need to source your own gear box elsewhere (saginaw and ross are very popular ones to use - I am using the Ross.) Then you can address the steering column/coupling issue and the steering wheel size (if you wish to.) Get some lines made and install the whole thing.

The hard part to get your hands on for a reasonable cost is the pump, but that's one of the more critical components IMHO as it's a direct bolt-on. I got lucky and found one on ebay for cheap. The gearboxes can be had from large truck scrap yards for relatively inexpensive, I paid $300 for mine and am waiting for it to arrive from the midwest.

It's a conversion that requires some thought and ability, but I am really looking forward to it as the manual steering sucks rocks. Even in a bobber.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks