• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you lock out the surge brake on a M416A1? What's this hole?

2ndchance

I noticed that there is a hole that goes through the surge brake setup. What is this for? When I look through here, it looks as if I stuck a steel rod through this, it would lock out the surge brake. Is this what it's for? The biggest gripe I hear form M416A1 owners is that when they try backing up uphill, the surge brake engages and prevents the trailer from rolling. Could this possibly be some kind of lockout? I am hesitant to try, as I don't want to break anything.

surge brake block.jpg

wsucougarx

Yes that will lock out the surge brake. By sticking a bolt through this hole, it'll stop the travel of the lunette assy rearward. I too have locked out the surge brake. You won't brake anything (no pun intended;-) ). Be sure to use at least a Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolt for this application. If you use a "soft" bolt it may bend and will be a headache to remove.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN4293.jpgDSCN4294.jpgBy all means, use a hardened hitch pin, or at least a Grade 8 bolt. Locking out the brakes is part of the program for surge brakes. The pin should be handy too! You seldom need it on Highway driving, but you might in sand, snow, mud, or as you mentioned, backing uphill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks