• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you run a 6x6 on 4 tires without bobbing (or modifying suspension)?

I don't see that removing the tires from one axle would cause any problems, might just have to make some brackets to hold the axle 'up'?

I don't really plan to do this, but thinking more that it might be a good way to bob a truck without buying 5-ton front springs, and the factory link style suspension would handle torque better for towing/hauling.

The only thing I worry about is it would put the entire weight of the truck on one ebd of the rear spring, and add more of a twisting motion to the center suspension assy instead of straight up (when load is split evenly over two axles).

I can get 5-ton springs and such for $400-500, but just trying to think of a way to use the factory parts that would be worthless other than for scrap probably.

I think it would attract the attention of every DOT enforcement officer that had some time on his hands. IMHO if you want two axles then go ahead and bob it.
Maybe a better way to explain this is:

Picture original rear suspension assembly with one axle completely removed. Would this cause undue stress on center suspension assembly? I can't imagine that original assembly not being able to work without one axle (just looking at it), but I also wonder why nobody has done it this way before.

KsM715

Im having a hard time picturing how that would work? I would imagine that with the front half of the bogey chained up that would make for a horrible ride.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It's a "walking beam suspension". Removing one axle is not going to change that. It is made to operate with two axles. I don't see the purpose for your proposal unless it is to remove weight and/or rolling resistance. If you are talking about a 5 ton if I were going to bob one I'd find an air ride setup off a commercial truck and do a four link suspension with air bags and shocks.