• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian 15CWT

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all you Canadian vehicle guys, Had a chance to work on and drive a 12 May, 1942 made 15CWT truck. It had been in the back 40 for years. Drug it to the shop, checked fluids, surprisingly, the brakes WORKED and the fluid was clean and clear as well as a great pedal! Put a battery in it, cranked, no spark or fuel, Checked the points, they were white and corroded. Cleaned them up and got good spark. Got gas to the carb, but no squirt. Ran for a second putting gas down the carb. Pulled the top, float bowl full of debris and the accelerator pump hard as a rock, It is a leather one. Pulled the carb, soaked the pump in air tool oil. Pulled the carb apart, for a 1 barrel there sure is a lot of parts in there! Gaskets are junk as was the cork seal for the top of the accelerator pump. Made new gaskets and a cork. Checked the pump and the oil softened the cup. Put it all together and it fired right up! Even got a chance to look thru original manuals for the truck, very nicely written, it is fully illustrated like the half track manuals from England.

Pics for your enjoyment and a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcrE4OGsRs0

Attachments

CMPPhil

Caution CMPS are addictive!

Hi Will

Thanks for sharing the test drive, how did you like the right hand drive and shift with your left hand along with the gas peddle between the brake and clutch?

Always fun to see other CMPs running around, they are not fast by today's standards, of the three I have two are happy running down the road at 35 - 40 MPH faster than that the just start feeling very busy. The third the biggest of the three is perfectly happy and comfortable at 50 - 60 MPH. Of course with the same little 216 cu.in. stovebolt 6 used in the Chevys rated at 84 squirrel power you are shifting up and down through the 4 speed non-synchronized transmission quitem often.

But they are amazingly simple to work on and robustly built. Another peculiarit is that with Chevy, the engine is interchangeable 1940 - 1962, so the can be up engine to 261 cu.in.

One word of caution the wiring harness are made with steel wire. Now with 75 years of drying out there is a risk of shorts. They were built with a current limiter not a fuse or fusible link on the wiring.

Again thanks for sharing the old gals shake out.

Cheers Phil

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shifter, starter and go pedal all seemed fine, but getting used to the brake on the far right took a few laps to get used to. I am surprised at how smooth the truck is. I would like to drive it on a road and see what it is like. Around the compound, it rattled and squeaked worse than my deuce did! It seems fat at idle and the mixture screw does little. I think I might have missed a passage or there is a vacuum leak. After it sits a day or so, it is a bit hard to start, but once it lights and gets a bit of heat in it, it runs good.

There is another vehicle from across the pond, an Alvis/Saracen, I believe an FV603, that is sitting in a spot but soon to move and hopefully be sold. Will be working on that after I get the fuel system issues sorted out on the M106

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks