• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian deuce transmission on U.S. m35a2

demonhunter77

will the canadian m35 variant's allison MT-643 automatic bolt up to a M35a2 multi feul engine?
forgive me if this was posted somewhere in the past. i looked but did not find one.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not - without significant work! Besides needing a flexplate the MT-643 uses a SAE#2 bolt pattern; the A2's engine is not...

G.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also believe the canadian m35 had a 6-53 DD or something else but do not think it had a multi.

M1031CMT

Also believe the canadian m35 had a 6-53 DD or something else but do not think it had a multi.
The MLVW's had a standard 8.2L DD mated to an Allison MT643 tranny.

MT643_tranny.jpg
MT643_tranny_info.jpg

Will more than likely need an adapter plate to make it work. If it is at all possible. You might be able to get it mated up to the engine, but it doesn't mean there will be room once it is all together.

Finding one out of an MLVW will be extremely hard. Very few parts available anymore as only the first batch of trucks were sold to the public. All the MLVW's were sent to the crusher (as will any that are still left in service).

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MLVW's had a standard 6.2L DD mated to an Allison MT643 tranny.

View attachment 400849
View attachment 400850

Will more than likely need an adapter plate to make it work. If it is at all possible. You might be able to get it mated up to the engine, but it doesn't mean there will be room once it is all together.

Finding one out of an MLVW will be extremely hard. Very few parts available anymore as only the first batch of trucks were sold to the public. All the MLVW's were sent to the crusher (as will any that are still left in service).
Not a 6.2, it was the 8.2
When I last visited Prefair they still had engines and transmissions.

mt643(1).jpg

Attachments

seano11

The MLVW's had a standard 6.2L DD mated to an Allison MT643 tranny.

View attachment 400849
View attachment 400850

last time I talked to prefair he said he had a lot full of them that he could only sell for parts

M1031CMT

Yeah sorry not 6.2 (been working on CUCV's too much lately). Yes they are 8.2L DD.

Prefair does have some basic parts, but unless you want something needing a lot of work I would look elsewhere. I was there when he took the trucks apart. He paid two guys with a set of torches to take the trucks apart and the vast majority of what he has left is junk (I have been in the yard many times). Expect any mounts/fittings/wiring/linkages to be ripped off or cut off with torches. For instance, pretty much all the cabs had their doors removed by flame cutting the bolts or hinges off. They could have taken 5 minutes with an impact but they used torches instead. He has some basic stuff (many busted up cabs, truck boxes, a few engines and trannys that were missing parts, and one or two winches) but most of it is junk. Saw a few hydraulic winches which had the hydraulic connections snapped off the cases which they were trying to sell for $800 each ($1500 for a winch that wasn't broken). He has some cabs and engine/tranny parts but the owner wants a fortune for the parts (we were quoted $1k for an engine and tranny that were missing parts and clearly needed a lot of work as well) so no thanks unless you are really desperate. He still has pallets of parts from the lots of iltis jeeps he took apart many years ago, but that is all junk too, but he wants a fortune for it as well (anyone seen his mountain of iltis fenders that has fallen over? He can't sell those either because he wants a fortune for them even though most are rusted now or have been badly damaged after the mountain fell over). He has said several times he does not care about the parts and would rather see them rust and scrapped then sold at another price. Is sad, but it is his stuff so he can do what he wants with it. So avoid unless you really need something badly from him and are willing to pay the high price. I buy any filters/seals/etc parts for the engine and tranny in our MLVW from the local DD dealer. Parts are still available and at reasonable prices. The other body parts can pretty much all be obtained from regular M35's for cheap.

DSC01948.jpg

Pic was taken in 2009. Was last there in the winter of 2011-2012 and the parts pile was looking a lot worse.

You can find the MLVW engines and trannys in trucks all over the country in the scrap yards for big trucks. The 8.2L's use to be very common at one point. The MT643 trannys are common in old school buses. Can't remember the name of the big scrap yard in Montreal that sells parts right now (brain fart), but we called them at one point and got many parts for the 8.2L from them for cheap.

Should have stated that they are no real complete engine/trannys setups you can find to try and transfer over into an M35 from an MLVW.

Last edited:

M1031CMT

Just shot prefair an email about it. as for fitting, are you guys talking about needing to modify shaft length, floor pan clearance or frame clearance issues?
All of the above. Would likely fit if you put in the engine and tranny from the MLVW, but there is no telling how it will fit if you somehow get it mounted to the multifuel (even then that is a big "if"). Before even considering that tranny I would see if it is even possible to mate the two together (and get them to work together), then get technical specs on the tranny to see if it will fit in the same space as the old tranny in your M35.

Also, I would really try looking locally before trying to have something that big and heavy shipped from NE of Montreal down to Alabama. Shipping will likely double the cost of the tranny in the very least. Plus you are buying something that has been sitting outside completely exposed to the elements for several years.

Pretty much anything is possible, it is just how much you are willing to pay for it and if that would cost more than say a full engine/tranny out of an M35A3. I personally would go for a CAT over the multifuel any day.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks